GT2A Skyhawk - Rear disc caliper

Rusty_S85

Local time
7:40 PM
So I wanted to ask how have others aligned their rear calipers?

I'm running Avid BB7 MTN calipers front and rear, front went on perfect but the rear is twisted and the pads sit half on and half off the rotor.

I bought a Avid 20mm ISO mount conversion cause it looked like one ear was taller than the other but they both are taller so all it did was move my caliper further back which isn't what I was wanting to do.

So what have other people done to rotate the caliper to get it positioned properly to the rotor?

I can live with it half on half off the pad just will have to replace the pad sooner as it will eventually touch each other preventing the rotor from being grabbed. But I can live with that if there is no way to properly rotate the caliper to get proper positioning.

So I wanted to ask how have others aligned their rear calipers?

I'm running Avid BB7 MTN calipers front and rear, front went on perfect but the rear is twisted and the pads sit half on and half off the rotor.

I bought a Avid 20mm ISO mount conversion cause it looked like one ear was taller than the other but they both are taller so all it did was move my caliper further back which isn't what I was wanting to do.

So what have other people done to rotate the caliper to get it positioned properly to the rotor?

I can live with it half on half off the pad just will have to replace the pad sooner as it will eventually touch each other preventing the rotor from being grabbed. But I can live with that if there is no way to properly rotate the caliper to get proper positioning.
Pull the wheel back until the rotor lines up in the caliper and use tugs to help keep it there!

Hi Rust,
the Skyhawk frame with disc brakes is not built right. I built many (135mm). Below are a few. The Green Kawi tribute and Black Norton Tribute I used a bracket from Bicycledesigner .com But I'm using 224 rotors and I drilled a new hole in the bracket for it to work.

The white and black bike I used 160mm and still did not work but I used the spacer for disc brakes you can see it in the photo, I got them on ebay. But if I were you I would just weld a new tab like I did on the blue HD tribute below. Although that frame did not come with any disc brake tab.

This winter I will weld new tabs on the Kawi and Norton.

As you can see on the rotors I have full contact. Sorry for all the photos but wanted to give you some ideas..
Good luck, but I'm sure you will get it right.

IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
IMG_0437 (1).JPG
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the photos I don't mind I like seeing other ideas.

This is a photo I took today of mine showing the caliper mount I can move the wheel back some to tighten the chain up and adjust to get more pad contact. Just cant get it square as the caliper needs to rotate clock wise since the pad sits in an angle on the BB7 calipers.

80-8_10_07_4_9ae790b6045e57ac10d855785d5ce23057e45018.jpg

Uh... Well you might not know this but the bracket that holds the caliper to the frame is meant to be matched with the appropriate sized rotor (for example my front bracket it marked 180, matching the rotor size, and rear is marked 160 for the 160mm rear rotor) and also installing the bracket the wrong way can throw it off, but often doesn't happen because it won't fit onto the caliper indicating something is off, but it's not impossible with all the combinations available.

Uh... Well you might not know this but the bracket that holds the caliper to the frame is meant to be matched with the appropriate sized rotor (for example my front bracket it marked 180, matching the rotor size, and rear is marked 160 for the 160mm rear rotor) and also installing the bracket the wrong way can throw it off, but often doesn't happen because it won't fit onto the caliper indicating something is off, but it's not impossible with all the combinations available.

Well the 0mm ISO bracket I had was for a 160mm front 140mm rear. The 20mm I have on now is for a 180mm front 160mm rear. I have it installed upside down to how the 0mm one was installed when it arrived. Installed the other way it tilts the rotor more counter clock wise and makes the angle even more off set than it is now.

So do you have a 160 or 140 rotor on the rear

I have a 160mm rotor front and rear. the 0mm ISO that came on the caliper when I bought it worked for the front as its 160mm front 140mm rear. I had the 0mm work on the rear it was just holding the pads angled on the rotor and not square to the rotor like the front. I switched to the 20mm ISO bracket which is 180mm front and 160mm rear and it fits but it appears to have the rotor in the same position as the 0mm ISO mount just allows for way more adjustment of the wheel front to back.

I can take and use the caliper as is just wait till I get the chain to see exactly where the axle will be after I tension the chain ring then set my caliper and run it like it is. Just would like to fix it to have the pad sit square to the shape of the rotor like the front caliper does.

And if you have a 160 is it a 160 rear bracket, which might be different from a 160 front, or at least I assume since I've seen brackets marked front and rear though that could have just been for stupid proofing, even though both were marked differently for rotor size as well.

Back