GT5A / Skyhawk Clone build - slowest build in recorded history.

Preamble to this - I have had a basic straight kit-build in the past decade, and an aborted build that was much higher grade, that had i lost interest in/evolved into the build being documented right now.. over a 5 year time-span.

I had stopped 'building' .. but i didn't stop monitoring/buying up parts to progress on another possible build. As such, in putting it all together when the project came back on the bench, i had minimum needed to buy, more a matter of pick and choose. In my frustration over my aborted build, i had built a higher-end eMTB - and some components of that, have also being able to filter down to this project. I have, in all truthfulness, already found my 'regular' ride in the Downhill eMTB. I am doing this project, for an occasional use neighborhood pavement-plonker.

In the meanwhile, the project had idled, as other projects jumped the project queue.. i did get a work bench into the garage, and organized parts so that i could find them, whatever project it might be awaiting... until several months ago being newly inspired, it hopped onto the workbench in this state... a collection of parts flying together in loose formation.
20200907_190253[1].jpg

In addition to the Belt Drive pulley option - one of the last things i had picked up, was 3 or 4 different variations of the 36 tooth sprocket/rotor adapter combo, but for the life of me i couldn't make it work.. I'm going to call that, my own cognitive issue. When i got it on the bench, i was looking at my drive-train options again, i laid them out.. and got a bit of a brainwave on the Belt Drive Pulley. See, i was never really happy with it, in Theory.. it's got no shouldering for belt retention. If alignment or tension is off, you aren't going to have belt retention! I just so happened to have a few 203mm rotors sitting on the bench at the same time, and my mind's eye made a visual connection.
20200908_001814[1].jpg

Let us start putting a couple of these things together..

20200911_172425[1].jpg

Now, along with a 255mm rotor that i had from Bicycledesigners.com...

20200911_174758[1].jpg

This is the renewed Impetus for my Project. I couldn't make it work with 203mm/36 tooth combo, but i'm making the principle work in a way i haven't seen elsewhere... This is all a creative experiment, at this point, using what i have accumulated, minimum additional to purchase. I've already done several donations to Bike Cooperatives, in cleaning the garage of spare parts.. .

Last edited:
So, choosing my wheel option, i had three.. two sets Spoked MTB, and the gasbike alloys commonly utilized. For a while i was sketched about using the gasbike rims, since i'd heard there were stress fracture issues with them. In the end, using the rational that this is more of a Garage Queen, than a Pothole basher, i decided to go with them in this project.

Beautiful big collection of platters that lined up very nicely, but will need some work, to make work.

20200911_184420[1].jpg

Alignment is pretty good with this setup!

20200914_200224[1].jpg

First step was trimming down and filing up a Caliper hanger. I had two of them. I don't know why.. they came with one frame.. this took a day or two to fit right.

20200913_003154[1].jpg
20200912_222134[1].jpg

20200913_184934[1].jpg

Last edited:
Eventually, i got to this state. Yes, that's a series of mix and match caliper hangers to come up with the correct angle and spacing. Apparently, i got plenty of spares of those, also.

At this point, the rotor/belt drive stack has been properly set up with correct shims/spacers between rotors and belt drive pulley, and the paint was obviously removed from the 203mm rotors,

20200924_220622[1].jpg

Let's put a matching 255mm front rotor on to balance things off.. i had to change out the front end, from an older Suntour SR fork, to a newer version i had on the shelf from the eMTB build. I wanted the fork-gators on the old Suntour SR for styling aesthetics.., but, lower stanchion design would have 'only' allowed 203mm.. i wanted 255mm, and newer fork would work with that..

20200922_170701[1].jpg

Last edited:
I am DEFINITELY like YOU!

I'm also a slow builder with numerous design changes.

I even have the same radio!:)

Last edited:
Next focus was on the exhaust - again, i had several choices - none of them ideal. The OEM (bleh), a Snake Pipe from Arrow Cycles that didn't really suit my aesthetics, and a fake MZ65 pipe, that i didn't know was fake at time of purchase. Oops. Since original MZ65 is pretty much unobtainium, and the 'real fake' is ridiculously expensive to get to Canada, i'm going with what i got.. while it isn't a huge improvement on the OEM, it is an improvement, so going with it.. Like everything else on the bike, i need to modify to make work. I had a clearance issue with the front billet engine mount, and given the choice of taking away significant material from it, vs making an exhaust port spacer, i went with the latter. Off to the scrap bucket..

20200930_214734[2].jpg

Good thing i got spare parts to use as a 'tooling template'.. drill out rough slug, hacksaw blade it, and file it down...

20201002_213227[2].jpg

Bore it out with my largest .5" bit, file to .75" and 'port-matched', done.

20201006_181730[1].jpg

Last edited:
Next up was my intended electrical box.. this was a design aspect that i came up with a long time ago.. but crudely, incompletely implemented.

I had picked up a Hammond Electrical Junction box and modified it, to enclose my aftermarket Coil and Brain-box.

20200928_230339[1].jpg

The idea was to mount it on the front frame tube, as would have been seen in some Antique period motorcycles +100 years ago as tool boxes. I had made preliminary modifications and bracketry to mate it to a modified gasbikes CDI mount bracket.

20201004_155152[1].jpg

20200926_004538[1].jpg

That really wasn't working for me.. but a start. It needed to be MUCH closer to the frame. Out come the files and Dremel tool again...

First, i had to cut down and invert the initial bracketry i used to adapt to the Hammond box, and recess INTO the box itself for clearance..
looks a little jagged and rough in this photo, but about mid-process..

20200929_002329[1].jpg

File, file, file.. i get to this. About a week's worth of work, all told.

20200929_002923[1].jpg
20200929_004511[1].jpg

It now sits on the frame, as thus:

20201006_181709[1].jpg

Much better, much tighter. Everything plays together well.

20201004_155329[1].jpg

Last edited:
Update to present moment. Awaiting a belt tensioner bracket for the rear chain-stay, need to source a chain-guard, and figure out a mounting setup for a proper 5" Headlight and tail light battery-powered setup that looks somewhat in-character to the bike. I also have a Manic Mechanic Gen II Cylinder Head to go on.

Work will continue progressing rapidly at this point... the bench is needed for other things in that project queue!

Last edited:
Pretty awesome LOL now i am going to order a belt drive kit myself. Love what you are doing............Curt

Back