Guess it's time to change my front disk brake rotor.

DAMIEN1307

Staff member
Local time
4:49 AM
As the title says...lol...It now has just about 1700 miles on it and it is visibly thinner than either the rear rotor or the new replacement rotors I have in stock here at home.

I always wondered how many miles I would get out of a rotor, now I know...It also appears the the rear rotor will probably last a good deal longer, hopefully another 1600 or 1700 miles.

Hope this helps out others who always wonder how long to expect their rotors to last on their bikes...lol.

I noticed this when today, I was not stopping as to what I consider normal stopping distance for my bike.

Going to help the guy next door to put brakes on his car the dealer wanted 1200 .I'm pretty much just going to teach him how to do it . Hardest part is removing the wheels since I don't have a proper jack and sold my impact gun

As the title says...lol...It now has just about 1700 miles on it and it is visibly thinner than either the rear rotor or the new replacement rotors I have in stock here at home...I always wondered how many miles I would get out of a rotor, now I know...It also appears the the rear rotor will probably last a good deal longer, hopefully another 1600 or 1700 miles...Hope this helps out others who always wonder how long to expect their rotors to last on their bikes...lol.

I noticed this when today, I was not stopping as to what I consider normal stopping distance for my bike.
With a caliper you can measure the wear limit thickness on those rotors

With a caliper you can measure the wear limit thickness on those rotors
I wouldn't know what the wear limit is on these in the first place...lol...It's not like my old garage days when I could look it up in a book based on year make and model of the vehicle...lol.

I'm just going by how it feels and it feels like it's time...lol.

I have the hydraulic calipers on it and I can see the pistons are projecting a little more than they should when applied, so now it's time...lol.

So brake pads still use rivets? In the old day if the pad got to thin, the rivets would put grooves in the rotor

So brake pads still use rivets? In the old day if the pad got to thin, the rivets would put grooves in the rotor
I have very new pads on my calipers, plus they are bonded on these pads made for bikes anyways, so this is a non issue...The piston travel on the calipers is all I need to see to know to replace the obviously thinning rotor in question...lol.

Back