Guess it's time to change my front disk brake rotor.

I DID get 1700 miles out of it and this is the first time I have had to replace it since I first changed my bike over to disk braking.
The rear one is still almost like new...Could probably go at least another 1500 or so on that one before replacing...that one is the 203mm...The front is a 160mm.

A Spitfire is not exactly a China Girl bicycle either...lol...I know, I had one...lol....Used to just "love" constantly synchronising the twin SUs and cussing at Smith gauges screwing up on me to say nothing about all the colourful new words and derogotory expressions I learned whilst learning all about the Lucas electrical system...lol...lol.

The disks were probably the only thing it got right before it hit the dealerships...lol.

You know pads and rotors last longer if they're solid rotors.
Good luck finding solid rotors for a bicycle. They are all drilled, slotted, or otherwise "flame cut" in order to enhance every aspect of their performance... except lifespan. Likely all done so due to the normal nature of a bicycle, which is to stop the vehicle from going 10-15mph from a person pedaling it, and not 25-40mph stopping a bunch of us fat old guys that strapped a motor to them.

We are asking brake pads with a bit more than 1 square inch of surface area to clamp on to sheet metal rotors that are 2mm thick, to do all the work. None of this stuff is really designed around the idea of lasting 15-20k miles.

Thankfully, unlike motorcycle or car brakes, the parts themselves are fairly cheap.

A lot like motorcycle brakes, companies are starting to build some of the components in a similar fashion, such as the rotors. Those floating rotors I spoke of before are becoming more normal thanks to the prolification of ebikes. These are the ones I bought, but there are a ton of options out there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GFXMY7V/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=a15cc59c2d7614e3d091858c97dc207e&content-id=amzn1.sym.7dd77237-72be-4809-b5b5-d553eab7ad9d:amzn1.sym.7dd77237-72be-4809-b5b5-d553eab7ad9d&hsa_cr_id=0&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=5dbf5eb5-65f7-4fd2-870f-ee0e7dbed9c6&pd_rd_w=fGzx5&pd_rd_wg=BcCob&qid=1676148861&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_1_img&sr=1-2-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124&th=1&psc=1

Magura and SRAM offer floating disc designs up to 220mm with 2 piston brake calipers now. These parts, however, are not so cheap. A full front setup would cost around 250
Rotors: https://www.amazon.com/Magura-MDR-P...loating+bicycle+rotors&qid=1676148861&sr=8-43
Calipers: https://www.amazon.com/Magura-Brake-Black-Yellow-Right/dp/B075H4P74M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1MJFPOQCJGM3M&keywords=Magura+MT7&qid=1676149443&sprefix=magura+mt7,aps,176&sr=8-3

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I started to install disc on my ebike went as far as the brake caliper but stopped I figure I'll wait to wheel needs to be removed for disc .

s-l500.jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
s-l500.jpg

That is a rare sight. Most companies don't make many solid steel rotors, especially not the cheaper brands.

The only conditions where a solid face rotor is superior is in wet and muddy conditions where the friction coefficient becomes altered by the presence of the water. In dry conditions, the drilled/slotted/vented rotor designs perform better.

You also need to keep in mind that the typical lifespan stated for most bicycle disc brake pads is no more than maybe 2k miles under normal pedaling use. The fact that 1700 miles was attained on a heavy motorized bike with a powerful motor... As far as I am concerned, there is no problem to solve here.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thankfully, unlike motorcycle or car brakes, the parts themselves are fairly cheap.
That first set of disks you linked to are using the same alloy involving the 7075 T-6 Aluminum, The same stuff that I had made my front motor mount and rear caliper adaptor out of, would be perfect for my bike to go along with the cable pull hydraulic calipers I am using.

I will probably want to get those once I run out of my available stock of 160mm and 203mm rotors that I still have a few of each left over at the moment..

stocked up on wear and tear items during Covid because I knew the supply chain was drying up...lol.

The fact that 1700 miles was attained on a heavy motorized bike with a powerful motor... As far as I am concerned, there is no problem to solve here.
Keep in mind that I did go through 2 sets of brake pads in the front during that 1700 miles though...This was the first go around for the front disk.

Rear pads were replaced once in those 1700 miles.

Back