GX 50 reliability on long trips?

Local time
5:03 AM
Hi! I'm new here, I'm also new to gas powered motorized bicycles but have tinkered with and built electric bikes in the past, including mid drives so I've had some very frustrating times.

I'm looking into a simple, fun, reliable build to save wear on my car and gas. I'm also a bit of a wanderer, and if I had the range to with my e bike (I get 70 miles on a charge tops), I would occasionally ride 200-300 miles in a day exploring, because for whatever reason the idea of a road trip on a sketchy motorized bicycle sounds entertaining to me.

I've done some research and mostly settled on the GX 50 Staton friction drive kit. Do you guys feel this is a decent choice for my needs? I know the engine is a Honda, but from what I understand it's a relatively new engine, so I'm wondering how reliable people have found these motors. I live in AZ (few hills) and weigh 130 lbs so it shouldn't be too stressed.

Might consider a huasheng 142f also, I got honda knock off & Grubee 4g primary tranny, & it's nothing for me or the engine to take a 60-80miles without a problem 1. I personally dont own ne staton stuff but I hear they are the best gearboxes & there friction drives. I'm a 135 lbs & i beat on my 4 stroke huasheng 142f, without a problem.

Lol didnt have the money for the true honda, I got a honda gx35 4 stroke belt drive on another bike thou & 80miles round trip is nothing for it. It will run 32mph on flat ground all day long & never miss a beat, I understand wanting a honda, there hard to beat.

Here is a pic of my knock off honda bike, aka huasheng 142f, just for some ideas for you.
20210918_153341.jpg

I've got the Staton kit hooked up to the GX50. I've put hundreds and hundreds of miles on it. Not a single issue with either Staton, or the GX50.
While I haven't ridden 200-300 miles in a single go, a lot of my rides are long....The longest being 107 miles, with only one 10min stop to get a drink & snacks, and a handful of quick gas and go's, about every 18-21 miles. No problems whatsoever.
I have absolutely no regrets, don't think you will either.
I say, go for it.

Lol didnt have the money for the true honda, I got a honda gx35 4 stroke belt drive on another bike thou & 80miles round trip is nothing for it. It will run 32mph on flat ground all day long & never miss a beat, I understand wanting a honda, there hard to beat.
Might consider a huasheng 142f also, I got honda knock off & Grubee 4g primary tranny, & it's nothing for me or the engine to take a 60-80miles without a problem 1. I personally dont own ne staton stuff but I hear they are the best gearboxes & there friction drives. I'm a 135 lbs & i beat on my 4 stroke huasheng 142f, without a problem.
This is making me feel better, thanks for the picture, she looks good :) Oh yes, I want a Honda because I just want to buy an engine once and be done. I'm very very picky and cautious about the maintenance of my vehicles, but my mother who owned a Honda is not. She ran that thing for two years without coolant and a blown head gasket. No joke.

Thing had almost 180k miles on it. Oh and she also went 10-15k between oil changes. Was very impressed with that motor.

I've got the Staton kit hooked up to the GX50. I've put hundreds and hundreds of miles on it. Not a single issue with either Staton, or the GX50.
While I haven't ridden 200-300 miles in a single go, a lot of my rides are long....The longest being 107 miles, with only one 10min stop to get a drink & snacks, and a handful of quick gas and go's, about every 18-21 miles. No problems whatsoever.
I have absolutely no regrets, don't think you will either.
I say, go for it.
Sounds like fun! Can't wait to get mine then. What frame are you using? And how's your tire wear?

This is making me feel better, thanks for the picture, she looks good :) Oh yes, I want a Honda because I just want to buy an engine once and be done. I'm very very picky and cautious about the maintenance of my vehicles, but my mother who owned a Honda is not. She ran that thing for two years without coolant and a blown head gasket. No joke.

Thing had almost 180k miles on it. Oh and she also went 10-15k between oil changes. Was very impressed with that motor.
Buddy drove a Honda and it had a blown head gasket, and rad. we used a buttload of JB weld quick and kept is sealed best we could. lol. He drove it like that for I think 5 years, then sent it to the shop to be all rebuilt and refurb'd. His grandpa died and he had given him that car. He still has it, almost 30 years later, and still drives it. At one point the back wheels were falling off, literally. The motor never needed anything but a valve adjustment, a timing chain, and a set of rings and fresh hone. Oh and an oil pump, and the normal wear and tear stuff on the car. I wanna say he has over a million miles on it. Drove it so much literally the drivers tire flew off because it wore the clip down in the axle that holds it on, so it could slide out of the tranny, lmfao!!! I say buy the honda, live long!!

He keeps it looking new. Always has the original paint resprayed. Even the last time where he had to have it specially made, because they hadn't made it in 20 years!!!

The Honda GX50 is a commercial grade motor. All kinds of landscaping bizz's use them and it will serve you well. Only issue is fuel supply and having enough fuel for your ride. Just change the oil when needed, for me that means when it gets near black.

Sounds like fun! Can't wait to get mine then. What frame are you using? And how's your tire wear?
Tons of fun.
It's a Giant Talon 29er.
Get yourself a pair of Maxxis Hookworm tires, and you can delete your second question....there's virtually no tire wear from the roller.
....Yes, the GX50 is stealthily hidden inside the basket. 😉

Attachments

• 20211005_160811-1.jpg
    20211005_160811-1.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 242
  • 20211005_160851-1.jpg
    20211005_160851-1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 20211005_161409-1.jpg
    20211005_161409-1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 245
Back