GX35 - Totally removing clutch?

Haven't seen that kit yet. That's a really good deal compared to the $550 or so staton chaindrive. I'm not sure why the staton gearbox is so beefy and the gear ratio stuff. The $89 one could easily be copied (ahem the american way). Would a belt drive trans work on that bracket?

My opinion, the American copy would be more expensive, due to labor and material cost, and taxes, overhead, etc.

Sprocket to sprocket won't work it would stall every time you try to stop and you'd have to kick like heck or push it downhill to get it running. https://www.ebay.com/i/112843426788?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
Plus clutches are pretty cheap if you have $10 and some change you could get it working like normal. The bell is probably $10 as well. You may as well get a weed wacker and attach it if you want direct drive. The engine is $250 new. You could probably sell it to someone on here and have them pay shipping too. Honda engines are made good I would repair it like normal or sell it. By "carrier" do you mean flywheel - it has fins and a circle shape? Here's the thing, I know by experience if you were to buy a 2 stroke motor that size it would vibrate far more and be louder overall. If you don't usually ride motorized scooters/bikes you might not be used to the experience. Don't really understand this post :/.

After looking at the inside of the engine more, i see the "carrier" i mentioned is indeed the flywheel. The fins and everything aren't visible without further disassembly. It looks like i'd need a custom sprocket with a longer stem to reach all the way to the crankshaft. Since there isn't enough thread left on the crankshaft for a sprocket, i would need to remove the nut, meaning the sprocket would secure the flywheel instead.

By the way, the clutch isn't broken and i could replace it no problem anyway. I'm just talking about modding it to not use one. I know 4 strokes vibrate less and are quieter, that's why i got it. But i stop and go a lot, and the clutch definitely makes a lot of extra vibration and noise when engaging. It's just how they work, but i'd like to do without that.

One thing i realized though, is that without a clutch any sudden engine stall could lock the rear wheel which could be very dangerous. Probably unlikely with the honda motor but it's still taking a chance. A freewheel could be installed to prevent this but i would lose the ability to kickstart, meaning the only way to start it is lifting the wheel, using the pull start and then dropping it and giving gas. Not very practical.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Engine manufacturers worldwide trust their reputations on this iconic industry-standard 76mm clutch.

And here you are, trying to reinvent the wheel:(

Either something's very wrong with the clutch you have, or you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I give up.

Good luck.

I'm not bashing the centrifugal clutch, it gets the job done in a simple way. Yes they work, yes engine manufactures use them without issue. But when it comes to transportation they are not enjoyable to use. They suck on standup scooters and bikes, just as they suck on big sitdown scooters with cvts. They shudder and vibrate and make noise. They aren't smooth under load. People tolerate them because they're cheap and simple.

If you, like most people, enjoy being able to idle and don't mind the rough clutch then great. You seem to think i consider it some huge issue i can't live with, but in reality i'm just trying something different to suit my own preferences. A fun project idea to try out.

With that said your point about supporting the sprocket is noted. After thinking about it more, i realized the clutch itself is supported when it engages via the clutch bell, which is hard mounted to the frame. So without a clutch, the sprocket would need to be supported too.

Last edited:
Back