Had a Close one Tonight!

inspectorcritic

Local time
5:42 PM
Very close to losing my bike glad the guys were dumbf***s don't know what clutch is.
I hit the booze store went to pull into a Circle K there 8n another parking lot I had to pass 2 guys on bikes laying down abuse on the parking lot they saw me started screaming like come here chat I ignored them just ignored which was listless to do on my part should taken heed notice impending threat.
No people in store wanted chips and a mix to enjoy the radio tonight figure time 3 minutes figure time throw a quick lock over wheel nearly 1.5 minutes park it in front of door.
Went in they CAME RUNNING might be close 80 to 90 yards off.
I walk out bike gone I look 4 people out their car then saw my bike đź’Ż watt flasher still in very edge parking stall lying down. They were close to bike wonder if it was them I ask one young man said it was 2 guys came running in behind me one said look like a tire lever in hand.
So idiot had to push my bike they did not know what a clutch was think they might said no to them help.

So even if it takes 2 minutes to throw a quick U-bolt lock on to do 1 minute worth of behind your back shopping do rather than endure the ever lasting grief and agony of the next months or years coming up of losing your favorite fun and necessity bike.

One should always use a 15mm+ keyed cable and U locks. A good set of locks will cost around $70. Use both locks.

Never store your bike on your porch. Store it in a secure closed in structure; home, garage, storage building etc.

Some complimentary defenses to locks are alarms, cellphone notifiers and a tracking chip. These complimentary defenses aren't ment to replace locks and common sense.

Glad you got your bike back.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 291
Where security of my bike is concerned I will take quantity over quality to a point. I could have purchased a Fuhgettaboutit lock for over $100 but I chose a less expensive 16mm option. I also have 3 cables that I use to secure other parts of the bike. If my baby has to wait outside for me for any amount of time it will be locked up. The convenience store closest to me lacks a bike rack so the propane rental cage or air station become my immovable objects. IMG_20200113_102926.jpgIMG_20200113_102828.jpg Some thieves are happy with just a wheel so I make sure to slow them down or disappoint them. I included the Sigtuna lock body to show how much space it has for leverage attacks. Pickers(smart thieves are traditionally rare) will also have some problems with the core of the lock. I even installed a bike chain for my seat. I still need a couple more locks before I can relax, a little.

When choosing your u-lock it may say 16mm but the shackle might only be 14mm with a 2mm rubber coating.

Sad to say, but I've become so attached to my bike. and have so much time and effort put into it, that I sometimes don't take it on errands for fear of having it stolen.
That said, when I do take it, I always try to park it in front of a window, where I can see it from inside the building I'm in, and it's damn sure locked with a big, heavy, cumbersome cable lock.

Thinking, if I did lock it I had nothing to lock it to. They would have carried it off the 2 of them but there some people horrified of what they were doing a couple of young woman and their men might of been the heroes.
My bright flash still on but with a defect that might of lead me to them at night for a certain fight!
The light on and off cover fell off you need a key or something to stick it in a hole to turn it off and on I doubt they would have figured that one out.
But some good news with some bad hesitant news, I met this guy Friday standing by my bike ask, do you need a new motor? Said s**t yes! Got another bike burned cylinder guess everything else too said I ll be back up here Friday drop it off. I said, got anymore parts said ya I got everything whole kit plus the bike and lights everything on the bike I'll just give you the whole thing if want everything runs good. I'll take it!
So now I'll have 3 bikes no garage to hide them which now encourages not just 1 their but a gang of 3 to be jump beaten possibly killed.
The possibilities are real and dangerous.

Thinking, if I did lock it I had nothing to lock it to. They would have carried it off the 2 of them but there some people horrified of what they were doing a couple of young woman and their men might of been the heroes.
My bright flash still on but with a defect that might of lead me to them at night for a certain fight!
The light on and off cover fell off you need a key or something to stick it in a hole to turn it off and on I doubt they would have figured that one out.
But some good news with some bad hesitant news, I met this guy Friday standing by my bike ask, do you need a new motor? Said sh*t yes! Got another bike burned cylinder guess everything else too said I ll be back up here Friday drop it off. I said, got anymore parts said ya I got everything whole kit plus the bike and lights everything on the bike I'll just give you the whole thing if want everything runs good. I'll take it!
So now I'll have 3 bikes no garage to hide them which now encourages not just 1 their but a gang of 3 to be jump beaten possibly killed.
The possibilities are real and dangerous.

That sounds a little too heavy(I'm not THAT old) imo. You almost had your bike stolen just so you could stand still long enough for someone to pass on some good karma. That just means it'll be your turn to pay it forward next time.

i just use a cheapo 3$ lock on my bike, as every store i go to has a security camera near the parking lot. (just place it right in front of it and most people arent that stupid to take it, although ive had a few attempts)

to prevent people from taking my front wheel (my back wheel has a coaster brake, so there a very unlikely chance that someone will get it) but i tighten my wheels with a 16" breaker bar, so no one is getting it off without some serious muscle or an impact wrench. (i can still fix a flat with a patch if i have to)

only time ive come close to someone stealing my bike was cut lock, they never took the bike but they just cut the lock for some reason (guessing they saw a bike worth more than mine and decided just to take that one instead) the others were opportunity thieves that failed to realise i had a lock on the bike and just dumped it and left.

Back