Half link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnett256

Local time
2:24 AM
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the purpose of a half link. I know what it looks like, but I just don't understand what it's for? When I alter my chain, I ditch the master, knock the pins out, shoten, flare pins and I'm good. Once I had to take a roller out, but I can't remember why. I believe the ends wouldn't jive. Is that where a half link comes into play?

Last edited:
one full link consists of 2 inner plates and 2 outer plates - breaking a chain usually removes 2 outer plates (1/2 a full link) and a master link will connect the sets of inners together at this point the chain can be made another 1/2 of a full link longer by adding the 1/2 link which has bent plates that form an inner on one end & an outer on the other

NOTE: 1/2 links for 415 chain are usually too fat or too thin at one end to fit both 415 and the popular 415H, so require some filing or grinding

some kits used to come with BMX chain - lot of breakage on those

My friend give me one that is all half link bmx?????

Yeah, those full halflink chains are handy for getting chain tension perfect. I've run KMC HL710L on my bike's jackshaft for several years.

HL710L.JPG

some kits used to come with BMX chain - lot of breakage on those

Yeah, there's just no room for sprocket wobble (tough to achieve with ragjoints) and the chainline has to be about perfect when using 410-type with the 2-stroke kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back