Hall sensor question

scalewiz

Local time
3:31 PM
Questions for those in the know:
Can a front hub BLDC motor work with one of the hall sensors defective?
If so, what would be any of the noticeable symptoms. I have a motor that will give a short stutter, less than a rotation of the wheel, when it is accelerated from a stopped or a very slow condition. It may not stutter if accelerated slowly, but much throttle and the stutter occurs. It only does it once; after the bike accelerates it does not recur until the bike is stopped or slowed and then the accelerator is reapplied.

Another minor problem. Occasionally, but rarely, if the regen braking kicks in, but the bike is not completely stopped, applying the throttle again causes a severe vibration in the wheel and it will feel like the bike is trying to go in reverse! As soon as I stop the bike it will operate normally.

Opinions????

Yes, they should have 2 installed with 2 different "plugs"
I dont know about the jiggle when accelerating.
Maybe your hall sensor broke off and is backwards? I dont know why it wants to go in reverse. it shouldnt

I have hard-wired the connections to the motor; soldered and heat shrinked, thinking a connection issue was the problem. No change.

Only what was built into the motor. It's a BLDC front hub motor, direct drive, no gearing. Stock controller.

Could some programming error cause the problem?

Huh, i don't know. I too have a hub motor, but I don't know what you have exactly. Mine came with a 2nd hall sensor installed as most do.

If you have warranty on your bike, talk to the seller. If not, still talk to him, maybe he can help. If hes not responding, well, its time to start opening stuff...

Operating in the dark isn't really my desire. I'd think I'll just go out and buy a non-hall controller and speedometer. Cost; about a hundred bucks. Seems cheaper and easier than opening and repairing. My time has to be worth something.

Replacement of hall sensors are actually unbelievably easy and cheap. But you need to have the skills.
Otherwise go completely sensorless but i don't think it will be so efficient.

Back