Hand crank starter for 2 stroke?

bikejock

Local time
2:53 PM
Thinking of designing a crank starter kind of like the ones those old cars from the very early 20th century used to use. Would it be possible to make something like that for a 2 stroke bicycle motor out of a hand crank & some hardware to adapt it to the motor chain sprocket? It seems like I would have to drill a big enough hole in the cover the clutch arm attaches to.

This way I can just plug in a hand crank the engine without having to pedal start while the bike is stationary & after the motor is started via hand crank the hand crank could be removed so it doesn't interfere with pedaling. This design would need to have a center kick stand installed in the bike to lift the rear wheel though. Or one possible option is I can try to install it on the clutch gear or bevel gear so I can pull in the clutch lever so the wheel doesn't spin as I attempt to hand crank start it. A bit of an outlandish idea I know but it would be a simpler & more reliable setup than those pull starts some vendors sell which seem to be junk based on some reviews i've read about them.

Last edited:
seen several guys lift back of bike and push pedal with hand to start it - seen more lift bike and push pedal with foot to start it

This is a cool idea but why not just install a pull starter? Lock the clutch handle and tug away, and if you're using a double leg kick stand you won't have to worry about the clutch releasing and launching the bike

Thinking of designing a crank starter kind of like the ones those old cars from the very early 20th century used to use. Would it be possible to make something like that for a 2 stroke bicycle motor out of a hand crank & some hardware to adapt it to the motor chain sprocket? It seems like I would have to drill a big enough hole in the cover the clutch arm attaches to.

This way I can just plug in a hand crank the engine without having to pedal start while the bike is stationary & after the motor is started via hand crank the hand crank could be removed so it doesn't interfere with pedaling. This design would need to have a center kick stand installed in the bike to lift the rear wheel though. Or one possible option is I can try to install it on the clutch gear or bevel gear so I can pull in the clutch lever so the wheel doesn't spin as I attempt to hand crank start it. A bit of an outlandish idea I know but it would be a simpler & more reliable setup than those pull starts some vendors sell which seem to be junk based on some reviews i've read about them.
I thought of doing this but having a kickstart. My idea was to use a single speed free wheel sprocket and weld a kickstarter to the gear, then have the threads somehow go onto the bevel gear.

you could get it going fast enough with enough strength and a suitably large flywheel. like the strength you get out of your legs, and a flywheel about the size of the rear wheel. some way to get that flywheel spinning free of the engine would be handy too, some kind of manually operated clutch ideally.

now that I think about it, maybe you should just bump start it

Ive always wanted to try starting my bike like some of the old board track racers are started, on a stand and just yanking on the rear wheel. Not hard to do just never tried it for some reason.

Back