Handle Bar Setups

KiDD

Local time
6:37 PM
I'm having a bit angst with setting up my levers and throttle.
I have the twist index shifter for the dérailleur, kinda takes up a lot of room.
Also the clutch and the front brake want to take up the same space on the handle bar, I dunno if I should mount the clutch above the brake lever or below it?

I just want to see how you guys did yours so I can get some better idea of how to go about this.

SO LETS SEE SOME PICS!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment I can't upload pics. My kids broke my camera. Oh, well...

But anyway I can describe what I did. For gear shifting I went with the old 10-speed style shifters; the kind that mount at the crown. You don't do much shifting on a motor assisted bicycle and this way you are not crowding your hand grips.

And for brakes I moved both brake levers to my right hand. That way nothing interferes with clutching. (I got this suggestion from Large Fillipino, if I remember right. Thanks)

As far as what I did it has been great I took my front Deraleur, shifter and cable totaly off. If I want to run the Hier of the 3 Ill stop and roll it onto that ring(front sprocket) this is easy to do because the rear draleur gives so easily it has to other wise your rear your chain would be bound to just one sprocket. So if you dont mind runing 7 gears at a time this is a Quick fix Bluegoatwoods thats a real good Idea too!

I only have a 6 speed rear derailer with the barrel shifter type.
So I can replace it with any old lever off another bike so I can mount it on the downtube or something

iD COIL IT UP AND MOUNT IT ON THE DOWN TUBE THEN WHEN YOUR IN TOWN STOP BY YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP AND BUY YA SOME CABLE HOUSING(DERALEUR OF COURSE) AND OR JUST UN HOOK IT PULL YOUR CABLE THROUGH AND CUT YOUR HOUSING TO NEW DESIRED LENGTH THEN CUT THE END OF THE CABLE,SO ITS FRAYLESS, AND PUT IT BACK THROUGH YOUR PRE EXISTING HOUSING YOUVE JUST CUT AND HOOK UP YOUR DERALEUR.

They also have brake levers you can hook both front and rear brake cables into. I lever two cables.

Yup the Pod style comboShifter Lever Shimano deore, lx, xt, and xtr are lower to higher priced shimano lines all of which make the pod style lever combos. $16 and up

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, me too! I was just thinking: my bike is an 18 speed, shifters on both handles...show us some pix, or point us to some sites that have a solution, please.

Thanks,
Mark

Back