Handle bars

Rusty_S85

Local time
10:47 AM
I was going to get the Jakes Board Track racer style handle bars but he doesn't have them and HBBC who makes them doesn't have them either. But my problem is right now those bars are 7/8" and the threadless stem I got is a VO 1 1/4" stem with a 1" to 1 1/4" handle bar adapter. So right now I am trying to find a similar handle bar to this in 1" but everything I am finding is for motorcycles where the knurled grip is spaced 5" apart for motorcycle use.

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced black handle bars in 1" that is similar to a board track racer/café racer style handle bar that will work on a bicycle style mount?

Right now I am looking at the 1" 346 motorcycle handle bars by HBBC. It looks similar to the Clubman Deluxe but has what appears to be a shorter rise/drop and it also appears to have a more shallow angle. They call the 346 being similar to their drag bar just with a more comfortable 20* angle. Not sure exactly what a drag bar is designed for.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to look for, or make, a shim for 7/8 bars to fit - will save much hassle getting hand levers and throttle fitted.

So I take it the throttles are 7/8" then?

I can buy for $20 off ebay a 7/8" to 1 1/4" adapter but that's quite a thick adapter considering 1" to 1 1/4" is a 1/4" thick itself.

I hate to change my stem since I really like this tall VO stem I bought. But sadly it only comes in 1 1/4".

Well I found the throttle I want to really use on this build on ebay and it states for 7/8" handle bars.

So I just purchased from ebay this adapter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/170808193880

I am not too crazy about the white text (trying to scrub as much text off as I can) so I will try positioning it to where the VO threadless stem will cover up the text.

In the mean time I now need to make a decision on handle bar.

Do I go with the Clubman which is out of stock.
http://hbbcinc.com/product/clubman-bars-black/

Or do I go with the 346 which is in stock.
http://www.sutterstreetcruisers.com...ject-346-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Black-p57751033

I think I am leaning towards the 346 as it is not as far of a drop which I think would be better for me. After all I didn't want this build to be a board track racer per say as my second build I want to go all out as a racer build.

The stem I got is 75mm tall with a 80mm extension.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
can't advise on those bars - I'm past 70 and wouldn't bend over that far if you mounted a blond on that headset

lol Well I got the Project 346 handle bars I ordered yesterday. The nice guy I talked with through their FB page said that they wont have the Clubman Deluxe in till around November/December. I don't want my little summer project to be put on hold till winter. So I bought the last remaining Project 346 they had. He told me it is almost identical to the Clubman Deluxe. I think its just a lot shallower rise on the bar other than that its identical. Might be better for me as I want to have this more of a cruiser style while my second build will be an all out retro boardtrack racer style.

Aside from that just figured up what I have in this bike so far $510.64 for the Frame, Paint, Decal, Handle bar, and Stem with Adapters. I didn't figure in the $22 adapter I bought off ebay as this handle bar might mount on a 1" adapter but the photos make it look like their handlebar is 7/8" throughout the whole length no bulge is noticed by my eyes. I also didn't figure in the $151.88 I am awaiting for a refund from Niagra for my Sunlite forks I sent back.

I just don't think this build will end up being $1,000 or less. I'm already halfways there and I still need the engine, seat, seat post, wheels, and front and rear disc brakes. From what I have been seeing on Niagra its going to be like $800 just for front and rear calipers. I need to write down dimensions and hit up my local bicycle shop and see if they have some cheaper calipers and caliper mounts that will work.

If you are going to build a retro board track looking bike you surely don't want a in frame tank all aluminum bike with front and rear discs. But that is what I like, function is the s**t. looks only work for me if they go along with the function. I think you are well on the way to building one really nice bike. Curious though as to why you didn't like the Sunlites. On another note you really need to look around for another source for calipers. For 800.00 you could get them for a Porsche. It's easy to go over a grand for a bike like what you have in mind.

$800??!! Dude you need to start looking into quality MTB gear. I have a cycling background so lean that way anyways.

You can pick up quality SRAM 4 pot calipers for around $150 AUD - cheaper in your country. 160mm rotors for very little, 200mm or 203mm for a bit more.

Just out of curiosity, what brand are those calipers you were looking at..??

$800??!! Dude you need to start looking into quality MTB gear. I have a cycling background so lean that way anyways.

You can pick up quality SRAM 4 pot calipers for around $150 AUD - cheaper in your country. 160mm rotors for very little, 200mm or 203mm for a bit more.

Just out of curiosity, what brand are those calipers you were looking at..??

Brake Force One?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/Brake-Force-One-Disc-Brake-Tested-2013.html o_O

Not very retro, though! Not very good either according to the internet. :rolleyes:

Back