Handy sprocket shims

S

StefanoDimera72

I had a bear of a time getting the sprocket aligned onto my rear wheel. After the 15th or so try my throat was dry from yelling out colorful 4-letter words. Boy the neighbors were impressed. Anyway, I looked at the plastic cap from my 20oz Dr Pepper and thought is was perfect for shimming. I cut the sides of the cap into 4 pieces and tossed the very top, but i only used 3 of the pieces. They slid in perfectly between the sprocket and hub and also stayed in place thanks to their already curved shape.

Happy now. Bike is together and I even rode it to work this morning. By "rode" I mean pedal power. I just want to make sure everything is bolted on tight and whatnot since this bike is a complete rebuild and the front sprocket is a little sticky. But man is this "JL" gearbox noisy. Kind of like when we were kids w/ the soda can rubbing our tire. And i swear there's as much drag w/ this setup as my '78 JC Penny moped (a rebadged Puch). I don't mind the sweating, it's the gearbox which ruins any chance of me pedaling this thing around thanks to the noise.

it's the gearbox which ruins any chance of me pedaling this thing around thanks to the noise.
Although I'm still building mine and haven't really ridden it yet, I've read here that one might be able to line the inside or the outside of that teardrop-shaped engine gearbox cover with a thin (key word: thin) layer of cork or other suitable sound-deadening material like dynamat.

Yep. I just realized that I have yet to hear that straight-cut gear reduction for myself. LOL. Hoo boy.

Back