Happy Happy Happy Time..... :-)

The only one who can get a HT to NOT spit the dummy is you Sianelle !

One of the quality checks to do, is remove the ball bearing from where the clutch bucking bar is situated, (the clutch lever side, after you have removed the cover) and check the ball bearing for case hardness by atempting to scratch the surface of the ball bearing with a file. If the bearing is scratched by the file, then replace the bearing. Or replace it anway just to be sure.

You can also case harden the bucking bar with heat and cooling in engine oil, preferbly fosil based oils.
And do the same with the tip of the clutch lever where it cams/pushes the bucking bar.
So it's 3 things to check for case hardness,
Ball Bearing, Bucking bar and Clutch Lever tip at Bucking Bar end.

And finaly, where the lever rotates in the cover, that hole is missing a bush, preferbly brass oil absorbing bush, similar to what they use in automotive dynamo armatures, or used to.
Where they sell bearings, they sell those bushes and you may need to dremel out the hole in the cover to fit the bush, so the lever rod fits snugly inside the bush, eliminating unessecsary wear on the alloy cast cover.

Last edited:
Thankyou very much for the advice Bolts :D I shall certainly check out the clutch operating mech as you suggest.

I own 2 Chinese home market 28 inch wheeled bicycles, a 'Wu Yang' and a 'Phoenix'. So far I've discovered that my HT engine will fit neither of them out of the box without having to mess about quite a bit. This discovery has served to warn me to not to attempt to rush any part of any motorising project I may attempt this Winter.
Tomorrow I have to go down to the township and the one big advantage of living in a rural dairy farming district is that between the milking machine parts dealers, and the tractor dealers and the local engineer's supply stores I can get all kinds of wee interesting thingummys for holding stuff together.

I must get some brazing rod..... and fill my gas bottles.... and get some more MIG wire..... And check out the scrap steel pile at the Ministry of Works depot.... and.....

Good point,the additional advantage of encasing this malconstuction in bubble wrap is that you won't be tempted to mess with it anymore, and proceed with mounting that large sprocket on the SA hub.You seem to have a surfeit of interesting and possibly cuddly junk around that distracts you.Formulate a plan of attack,make up a PERT chart and proceed to excecute it

Hum..... you could be right. :???:

I've decided to put the HT on my Chinese built 'Phoenix' and not the 'Wu Yang' because the rotten nasty little engine went and scratched my Wu Yang's immaculate paint. The Phoenix is old and tatty and an ex-rickshaw tractor so it should be a better test vehicle for the HT.

Never fear one of my proper well brought up English bicycles shall indeed get their Villiers engine. If nothing else it should make an interesting contrast when it comes to comparing the two motorised bicycles.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/PipeClamp.jpg

This is a stainless steel pipe clamp/pipe mounting thingy which I purchased today from the milking machine dealers this morning. They've got alsorts of amazing pipe mountings and clamps which I reckon would be right corker for all kinds of bicycle based projects. Only problem is that in stainless steel they can be a wee bit expensive, but then on the other hand you're not likely to need very many for any one project.
What I like about clamp type methods of assembly is that it doesn't involve any structual welding or hole drilling on a frame. When dealing with classic era frames this is a big advantage since the last thing I want to do is mess them up.

the mount in the top pic. on this page is a good mount system. add some rubber washers between the engine, & adapter plate, then put a rubber hose around your seat post for the rear clamp cushion, to make a sweet, vibration free mount.
http://zbox.com.au/innovations.htm

Last edited:
I completely agree,don't mess around with frames if you can help it,resilient clamping is the way to go.Can allways be undone too if things don't work out

Back