HappyTime CDI mystery

nathanl

Local time
11:58 PM
So I got my happytime all setup but it wouldn't turn over.

I grounded the replacement NGK plug I got against an engine fin, no spark.

I disabled the kill, still no spark.

I got a multimeter and hooked it up to the two nonkill wires coming from the magneto, I got about 12v of DC current when I pedaled. Magneto appears OK.

I used the multimeter to test for continuity in the CDI wiring, I hooked one end of the multimeter to a wire going into the CDI, the other end of the multimeter to the cap where it meets the spark plug, current goes through just fine. I did the same thing with the other wire going into the CDI, current went through just fine again. Wiring appears complete in the the CDI.

So, magneto is putting out current, both wires going into the CDI transmit all the way to the plug cap, and the kill cable is capped off, but the standard chinese and an NGK replacement (both properly gapped) won't spark. Anyone have any experience with this? Im no electrician, am I missing something obvious or doing something wrong? Any ideas? I'm assuming the CDI is DOA. Does anyone sell replacement CDI's?

Thanks in advance!
Nathan

The blue and black wires should be cranking out 75+ volts AC.

Check the air gap between the stator and the rotor magnet. I had a "no start" from a new engine and I used a business card to set the gap between the stator coil (magneto) and the rotor magnet. Engine fired right up after that.

Good Luck!

transmit all the way to the plug cap,

Then work back.
Remove the plug cap, cut some of the insulation from the plug lead, crimp it on electrical connector so it fits the plugs screw tip and try that.

If you can get another copper plug lead with the copper wire unlike the MiCh copper wire used in the HT plug lead you will get a better spark there to.

no go

So I checked the connections in the CDI, it all appears to be legit there.

I checked the gap on the magneto and checked the voltage on the magneto, it was indeed ~75V AC at a decent cadence.

I checked with a motorcycle repair guy and he said it looks like the CDI is dead and to check in with my supplier.

I already emailed my supplier (powerkingshop on ebay) about this and never recieved a reply so I'm guessing he's not going to be too useful.

Anyone know of a retailer that sells a replacement CDI?

Thanks again! You all are great!

I already emailed my supplier (powerkingshop on ebay) about this and never recieved a reply so I'm guessing he's not going to be too useful

Thanks again! You all are great!
yes they will be very helpful, it just takes at least 2 days to answer any email you send them, but they WILL replace any bad parts your kit has. It will take some time and be rather frustrating but they will replace your cdi.

Back