Harbor Freight #97964 79.5cc 2.5HP - now what?

Love This Motor

Got about 10 miles On my HF and this is by far the best mb motor I've tried for an in frame set up! So smooth, low vibration and plenty of torque, sweet torque!

Attachments

• 003-1.jpg
    003-1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 619
  • 023-1.jpg
    023-1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 600
  • 027-1.jpg
    027-1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 484
  • 032-1.jpg
    032-1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 678
This set up would work nice. It's what RD & Kilroy used.

Attachments

• Q Matic.jpg
    Q Matic.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 482
  • Q Matic 2.jpg
    Q Matic 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Q Matic 3.jpg
    Q Matic 3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 480
Firebelly: I've heard that the HF engine sticks out a little more to the right with the qmatic belt drive but I see the shelly belly wisper drive has some room to move the 10 tooth sprocket up and down the drive shaft some. Does this allow you to center the unit so your right crank doesn't need a peddle extender so your foot clears the flywheel cover?

Electrical flex pipe exhaust?

Firebelly, Is that electrical flex pipe you're using for exhaust there? I'm an electrician. That stuff isn't air tight, is it? Doesn't that stuff leak & rust? And isn't that going to burn the legs of the riders pointing straight up like that?
Jay

Last edited:
Glack,

FireBelly always center our motors and we're in frame 'cause It makes for superior handling! We do for this set up use a wide crank spindle but I use straight crank arms. I wouldn't like having an asymetrical set up like that. Ergonomics are critical to design if your going spend lotsa miles on your ride. This also allows for adjustment to any wheel sprocket set up while maintaining motor frame centerline.

Jay,

My motor runs great, is quiet and I've not experienced any heat issues.

Thanks, Evan

Last edited:
Hi Jay,

As many already know, using an exhaust pipe designed for other uses often degrades power.

So far I have seen flexable electrical, flexable LP gas line, and aluminum tubing connected to motors.

We only use "real" exhaust flex pipe because of the design. Real exhaust flex pipe costs more, but it has a smooth interior and doesn't leak.

Just remember this......."Ruffles has ridges, and exhaust sytems shouldn't"

EZM did extensive tests on exhuast pipe design, size [ID], and length. We even tested for top end, mid range, and low end torque, and tuned our system for best overall performance.

glacknoid.........

The Q-Matic & Silent Power have spacers to allow sprocket [or clutch] alignment. The drive sprocket can be moved to the right or left and spacers [shims] can be used to move the sprocket even more. The new "Silent Power II" will allow sprocket placement that can vary as much as 1 1/2" from left to right. Please note the "Silent Power II" is currently in testing and Mike and myself are working on re-locating & designing a new belt tension system.

Have fun,

Attachments

• Flex2.jpg
    Flex2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
the HF engine is it an issue with its shaft turning counter clockwise, would a belt drive or friction work well? will the engine have to be mounted at a different angle to work?

The only issue I see is the thing is real wide. I cut an inch off the output shaft.
If an engine would run backwards- turn it around.

can u post a pic of your setup and what type of mount did you use. im in the process of building 2 tandems for wife and I, daughter and son in law. any info that you may have will be appreciated thanks

im off to thinkin of going to HF today or may wait on coupons.

Back