Harbor Freight Carb flooding engine after turning off engine.

Does anyone know for a fact if this carb on a HF 1.5 HP 52cc Water Pump Engine can have the fuel tank mounted above it, or will gravity force it to flood?

We sprayed some carb cleaner up both ports on the carb and it fixed it for about a week and I had no problems with the tank mounted above the carb, and no leaking problems when i shut off engine, then all of a sudden.....................................

Huge fuel leaking problem coming out of carb/air filter while the engine was running causing the engine to flood and shut down. It seems like I can not isolate one variable to diagnose what is wrong with it. It has no consistency.

I went to find some fuel shut off valves, but had no luck. Bought a pinch clamp, and clamp both hoses after I shut the engine off. But the engine floods now while it is running.

It seems like, If i pull on the recoil/starter puller very slowly, and pull air into the pison chamber before I start it, is the only way I can get it to start after flooding.

Also after I get the engine started with the clamp on the hoses, but then need to take the clamp off so the engine gets fuel, it causes the engine to shut down/flood. Im not sure though if it is just because it is causing a short burst of fuel to blast up into the carb though after clamp is removed.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Happy 4th.

like i said before just take the carb apart and clean the needle, jets and everything else that there is and put a in line fuel filter.
it happened to my yesterday on my midimoto which has the same engine as your bike and the same carb.
Good luck
G-Superior:D

This thing is a basketcase. There is no consistency with this engine. You can not isolate one variable and diagnose the problem. The carb has been taken off and cleaned. The fuel tank has been mounted to a position that is below the carb.

Sometimes is runs, and then it will not start for hours.

It seems like this thing has brief moments of joyful bliss, followed by agonizing hours of tedious tinkering.

Got it started after several hours of tinkering. Then it started to Idle/Rev. really high, and when I applied throttle it sounds strong until it gets to about 3/4 throttle then bogs down and will not accelerate any further.

Took it for a spin to find out if i could fine tune it with the brass/spring idle adjustment knob on the bottom of carb. and got the idle down, but it now bogs down even sooner before 3/4 throttle, and wouldn't even climb a hill.

Now it is sitting, and will not start. The only way I can get it to start is if i turn the idle screw all the way, and then pull start it. It cranks/fires up but dies right away. Even after giving it gas to help it from stalling out. Then I have to turn the idle screw the other way, and then crank it up to get it to fire up again, but then it too again dies. It will not start and stay running now.

Very inconsistent.

If anyone knows any steps I can take to isolate some variables of what to do/what the problem is. I would appreciate it.

I tinker with it, and do one thing, then check how it responds to what i did, but it seems like I get different responses doing the exact same things.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Stuck roadside.

dont give up

If you are really bored of that carb. just get a new one and hope it dosent give up on you, I bet they are not that expensive:cry:
Sometimes there can be a problem that happened back in the factory and you know how chinese factorys are!" is it good? goes on the line! Is it not so good? goes in the line anyway! Is it junk? I really dont care!" thats how i think about then, its all about lucik with chinese stuff:mad:
Good luck
G-Superior:D

Thanks for your help. I think what happened to the carb was this............

I was at a shop that is called the Recyclery, that gets donated bicycles. You can go in there and build a bicycle, or repair your bicycle from parts that are off of scrap/donated bikes. I had the engine setting in the frame but not mounted and a volunteer, bumped my bike and down went the engine with heavy *** staton gearbox attached to it on a concrete floor. It hit hard. It might have knocked the carb out of wack.

Anyhow,It is now running. I now have the gas tank mounted under the carb, but it is on the rear rack stay. It looks like something sanford and son put together, but It works for now. I also took off the carb linkages and lubricated them and made some adjustements, and tweeked the idle set screw.

She runs now...............................................

Later on.................... Who knows.

Thanks again,

I learned alot anyway if nothing else.

do you have the line to the primer gravity fed if so that might be the problem there is no needle to regulate the flow off that line so i think when it gravity fed it will just flow all the time
take that line off the tank and see if it helps

"I was at a shop that is called the Recyclery, that gets donated bicycles. You can go in there and build a bicycle, or repair your bicycle from parts that are off of scrap/donated bikes. I had the engine setting in the frame but not mounted and a volunteer, bumped my bike and down went the engine with heavy *** staton gearbox attached to it on a concrete floor. It hit hard. It might have knocked the carb out of wack. "

"And now, the rest of the story..."

The late, great, Paul Harvey

Ya coulda told us that to start off with.

Dude...sounds like it's a new motor/pump. Put it back together and take it back and get a replacement.

Not sure if the drop/fall though hurt the carb.................................

Isolated some variables and I now have some consistency. I mounted the 1 gallon tank on the rear rack stay below the carb, and I no longer have flooding problems. I'm not sure, but almost 90% sure that you can not have the tank above the carb. on this engine.

What I have now:

To get the engine to start, I have to adjust the brass/spring/idle screw to the far left. However when I run the bike at this setting, it bogs down at about 1/2 throttle. Now to get the engine to run good and strong, I have to adjust the brass/spring/idle screw to the right and tighten it. The motor runs very strong, doesn't bog down, and screams. It is very FASTTTTTTTTTTTTT, but when I go and shut it down, and then restart it, it will not start.

The only way I can get the engine to restart again is if I turn the brass/spring/idle screw to the left again, restart it, and then after it starts, I have to adjust the brass/spring/idle screw again to the right to get the engine to run properly.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

The low speed fuel/ air mixture needs tuning.
If you have to increase (turn in) the idle speed screw to get it to start, the mixture is too rich as increasing the idle speed adds more air during starting.
If you have to decrease the idle speed to get it to start, then the opposite is true.
It is too lean.
I had one of those carbs on my Go-Ped (same engine) and I eventually replaced it with a better one that was waaay easier to tune and actually kept it's tune.

Back