Harbor Freight Predator 79cc 4 stroke shift kit build (reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakaneko

Local time
4:34 AM
Before I forget, as a reference since the Predator 79cc seems to be a popular motor, here is a video and YT user who has a very nice and impressive 79cc Predator build with a shift kit. I think most folks here are doing direct drive so I want to post this as a reference for anyone interested in doing a shift kit build with the 79cc Predator and want to know where to start. Also, I think there is one guy here doing a shift kit build with the 79cc Predator but I am not sure if he is doing like this YT builder.

And, I am wondering though if this is possible with the 212cc Predator. The builder is using a Sick Bike Parts free wheel and custom jack shaft sprocket, aftermarket exhaust, and aftermarket carb from Affordable Go Karts.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMr-zr-uR1HpU5I8IezMORw

Last edited:
bakaneco, the guy that built this
upload_2017-2-11_9-0-43.png

is the same guy that stuffed a 212 in a Huffy SBP Death Row kit. This is his new winter ride.

bakaneco, the guy that built thisView attachment 75575
is the same guy that stuffed a 212 in a Huffy SBP Death Row kit. This is his new winter ride.

yeh i saw you mention winter riding. your friend is nuts! it's been nice riding when it was above 40 recently but im still bundled up with neck warmer, hat, double layer gloves, and thermal coat.

bakaneko,
Isaiah, uses a 49cc HuaSheng / Cranbrook as a daily commute on dry days in winter.
Summer he rides a Huffy like mine with a 212 wedged in it. Nuts? He must not be, as he got tired of wiping out on two wheels in icy or snowy conditions. That's why this last Fall the trike was built. As I said, these machines are his daily ride rain or shine. And for him that means 4mi. each way. On other fronts, finally got the coaster brake strap of my Worksman rear modified as per Pat Dolan. Not that I am aware of his posting so on any forum. But if you Google search Sportsman 80 you will find reference in his Flicker files. It takes two offset bends to create maximum drive sprocket adjustment and properly align with the chain stay.

Wow, is it just me or was that a real dog off the line for a 79cc to the point he has to pedal?
Heck, the 2 direct drive 79cc on 29" tires I built performed about as good, but maybe it was just the video perception for me as I didn't see any gain.

Anyway, congrats on shoving a 79cc 4-stroke shifter in an old mountain bike!

79shift1.jpg

79shift2.jpg

It looks a little like something someone would ride in a Mad Max movie ;-}

All anything needs to do is function reliably for transportation needs, but for this I smell eminent failure for the 7-speed derailleur...
Heck, they are iffy with half the power in my opinion bud.

But congrats! That was a hard fit no matter how you spin it.

Wow, is it just me or was that a real dog off the line for a 79cc to the point he has to pedal?
Heck, the 2 direct drive 79cc on 29" tires I built performed about as good, but maybe it was just the video perception for me as I didn't see any gain.

Anyway, congrats on shoving a 79cc 4-stroke shifter in an old mountain bike!

But congrats! That was a hard fit no matter how you spin it.

He has had it for at least a year since his first video was a year ago. True he could really tidy up this build to make it look nice but I was just impressed by the fact that one, he has no costly retail transmission which I feel are real dogs for Predator builds and two, he made his own jack shaft and I think the derailleur is custom too that 1st gear is over-sized. Pedaling off the line is a matter of perspective... Remember some of us still think of these motors as motor-assist and not full blown mopeds or motorcycles ;)

I mean getting a shift kit on most bikes is something I think you would appreciate. It helps keep the motor RPMs down and thus prolong the motor and I mean it is just so much more fun to shift.

If I were to make another build, I would want to do exactly this (mebe 212cc if I'm gutsy) but of course I will try to make it a little less Mad Max-ish. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back