Hard cold start

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
7:34 PM
My bike is hard to do a cold start on, and it takes a little while to warm up. It is a brand new motor, so it's running more oil then it will be when it's broken in so I know that's part of it, but then again I've had brand new motors running a 20something:1 ratio that weren't this hard to start. Is there anything I can do in the early days of this engine to make it easier to start and warm up faster?

Sounds like its a little on the lean side during cold start up. 20:1 is way to much oil even for break in. 32:1 and run it hard for a few mins then let it cool down. Do that 3 times and break in is done.
Alright. It's on around 24-28:1 right now, still hard to start. Probably lean, I'll look at the plug and see how it looks

Gap the plug to .020" and lower the needle valve E clip down 1 notch.

Try a 2 stroke plug from O'Relieys auto part store forgot the name some Z 3 plug they brag it starts better.

Huh. I’ve never had that issue. Mine always starts on the first clutch release. I agree with everyone else. Too lean.

I'm from West Texas and I have this same issue every winter and still haven't figured it out

I'm from West Texas and I have this same issue every winter and still haven't figured

When it's cold out the air is denser and you need to adjust the carb to let in more fuel. If you have a NT carb, move the clip on the metering needle down a notch and try it, if it doesn't start easier, move it again.

Back