Hard Rubbish collection pics

Since I got the USB cable sorted for my new phone, (Thanks to customer service at Crazy Johns Phones, saved me $50, they gave me a cable.)
I had to practice and work out how this USB thing works, to get the pics from the fone to the PC.

So I'll start my Album thread with something that startled me on the day.
I don't know which blessing to count, but I seem to have all these bikes to fix.
Some are ladies bikes and there are 2 who want motors on these frames someday soon.
So I have a bit of a challenge to figure this out and all of a sudden I seem to be busy. Fortunately I have the loan of a garage/workshop and it has a drill press and some electric tools.
Still much of my work is with basic tools and nothing fancy.

How do I get rust off old chains ?

Attachments

• tn_backing in ute-1.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 475
  • tn_backing in ute-3.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 281
  • tn_ladies bike-3.jpg
    tn_ladies bike-3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 319
  • tn_ladies bike who wants motor-2.jpg
    tn_ladies bike who wants motor-2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 341
  • tn_Mountain Bike-1.jpg
    tn_Mountain Bike-1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 346
  • tn_trike-front pedal-1.jpg
    tn_trike-front pedal-1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 318
  • tn_Yellow 27-70cc-2.jpg
    tn_Yellow 27-70cc-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Oxalic acid, - sold as wood bleach at your local hardware store, - takes rust off chains very nicely. Rinse and dry the chain really well after soaking in the acid solution and then lube the chain in molten paraffin wax.
If a chain wasn't worn out when it got rusted it will be fine to use once it's been brought back to life by such methods. I have one or two elderly bicycles that still have their maker's chains on them and I certainly don't want to change them out for an El cheapo Far East wonder chain if I don't have to.

"I certainly don't want to change them out for an El cheapo Far East wonder chain if I don't have to." Isnt NZ about as far east as you can get?

Oxalic acid, - sold as wood bleach at your local hardware store

Thanks Sianelle, that's the sort of answers I'm looking for and I agree with the "far east syndrome".
The more I look at these old bikes each day the more I like them.

I needed parts for a build, little things like a longer outer brake cable
. So off it comes from one of these bikes and onto the build bike.
I save $7.00 already and it's stronger material.

Then I needed a bike stand, off it comes out of one bike and onto the build bike.
saved $15- $25
The one's at K-mart fall to bits on HT cos the adustable extension rod, the screw fallsoff. They bend with the weight of the engine anyway.

So yeah, hard rubbish may not be easy or as simpe as it may seem, but it's there for the taking.

I don't know what brand it sells under in Aus, but here it's called Bar Keepers Friend, or BKF. It's in a gold tube, usually by the kitchen cleaning products.

Back