Hard Rubbish collection pics

Since I got the USB cable sorted for my new phone, (Thanks to customer service at Crazy Johns Phones, saved me $50, they gave me a cable.)
I had to practice and work out how this USB thing works, to get the pics from the fone to the PC.

So I'll start my Album thread with something that startled me on the day.
I don't know which blessing to count, but I seem to have all these bikes to fix.
Some are ladies bikes and there are 2 who want motors on these frames someday soon.
So I have a bit of a challenge to figure this out and all of a sudden I seem to be busy. Fortunately I have the loan of a garage/workshop and it has a drill press and some electric tools.
Still much of my work is with basic tools and nothing fancy.

How do I get rust off old chains ?

Attachments

• tn_backing in ute-1.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 471
  • tn_backing in ute-3.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 276
  • tn_ladies bike-3.jpg
    tn_ladies bike-3.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 315
  • tn_ladies bike who wants motor-2.jpg
    tn_ladies bike who wants motor-2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 339
  • tn_Mountain Bike-1.jpg
    tn_Mountain Bike-1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 343
  • tn_trike-front pedal-1.jpg
    tn_trike-front pedal-1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 317
  • tn_Yellow 27-70cc-2.jpg
    tn_Yellow 27-70cc-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Ricardo-3 Speed

This bike I will be looking forward to do, I've started by adding a Sturmey Archer internal 3 Speed Hub and it has 2 new white wall tires.
This build is ongoing.

The Ricardo is something I want to motor-build special with as many features as possible, such as dynamo-lights etc.

Attachments

• Ricardo.jpg
    Ricardo.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 297
PB Blaster?

What's a PB Blaster ?

I read somewhere there is this solvent, I think it works like this other product called Tarn Off, but it's one of these home made solvents you mix things up with normal household liquids.
It is suppose to get right into the guts of anything surface rusted and much cheaper than buying all these expensive liquids.

Automatic Transmission Fluid works real well on old chains. It removes the rust and lubricates at the same time. Just soak it for a couple of days.

Why don't you buy a new chain at Wally world? They're only about $8, and by the time you spend money (and mess) on any other option, you'll at least end up even.
Just my $.02

--John

I take some used motor oil and I git it in there for about a week or two.
And yes,there is a science to all this.
Used Motor Oil has like these deposits and like.. um... acid,man. That acid from the engine that you don't want that's why you change your oil see,is the stuff that's gonna attack that rust and then like over time it's gonna look cool.
Then you collect this stuff till it's full enough for the collection agency.
The fresher the used motor oil the better for the acid is still suspended within the oil. Oil that has sat for a while is cold and the acids have settled on the bottom... I guess you can stir it up though.
How does acid form in the oil? By the spent gasses from the combustion chamber. It's not really acid per say. It's burnt fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that's all from Kerb collections?

say, you wouldnt have any 26 inch fenders spare would you? :)

Why don't you buy a new chain at Wally world? They're only about $8, and by the time you spend money (and mess) on any other option, you'll at least end up even.
Just my $.02

What do we do with all our perfectly good (but needing a little love) stuff that we throw out because "bought a new one at wally world?" I know! PUT IT IN A LANDFILL!

C'mon folks... let's save the planet one rusty chain at a time. Instead of throwing everything away that needs a squirt of oil and some wiggling.. how about fixing it and letting the **** in Wally World stay there.

My $.02

p.s. Wanna see why I get so bummed about stuff like this.. see: http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Last edited:
Each bikes has it's own individual rusted chain, some chains don't match all sprockets. Like the Sturmey Archer 3 Speed hub for example, I had to use the original chain from the bike the hub came from, which was infact my old 24" school bike.
Ghost0 Automatic Transmission Fluid works real well on old chains. It removes the rust and lubricates at the same time. Just soak it for a couple of days.

Thanks Ghost, I'v'e heard of that before, I think I read it here, "best kept secret" or something.

turkeyssr Why don't you buy a new chain at Wally world? They're only about $8, and by the time you spend money (and mess) on any other option, you'll at least end up even.
Just my $.02

--John
Yeah I have to go do some checking as see what happens. Restoring is interesting to and there is "old school" quality under that rust, so it seems.

Large Filipino I take some used motor oil and I git it in there for about a week or two.
And yes,there is a science to all this.

Thanks Large, does that include diesal oi ?l
cos I can get heaps of used diesal sump oil, almost a daily supply.
BTW your famous chain tensionor method is now on a 2nd motoredbike.
I mean the orginal 1st build I made, that 27" bike is no more. But the motor etc has been transferred over to a 26" frame,wheels, that way I have brakes on both wheels. I reckon I've done approx. 1000 miles and it's still good for another #? miles.

kjparker wow, that's all from Kerb collections?

say, you wouldnt have any 26 inch fenders spare would you?

Actually not all are hard rubbish, some I paid for, but cheap.
The Ricardo I paid $30, but it had a Sanyo bottle type dynamo, has since seized when I fitted this on a motoredbike.
No guards yet, but I'll lket ya know.

miletwo What do we do with all our perfectly good (but needing a little love) stuff that we throw out because "bought a new one at wally world?" I know! PUT IT IN A LANDFILL!

C'mon folks... let's save the planet one rusty chain at a time. Instead of throwing everything away that needs a squirt of oil and some wiggling.. how about fixing it and letting the **** in Wally World stay there.

My $.02

p.s. Wanna see why I get so bummed about stuff like this.. see: http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Yeah I think the word is sustainable goods and products and haggle to get them at a price that is justifiable.
The other day I was browsing at our local hardware store, they got big buying power.
In one of the ailes was this plastic box all decked out like it was something special. So I looked to see what it was and it was a case full of disposable batteries and a torch. Sold for something like $15. Nowhere was any endorsed Value for a re-chargable torch except one of those wind up types in the gimmick section. Sure, they got rechargable torches with proper mains batery charger, but it's priced out of reach to justify it's true cost to produce.

We finally got the ute backed in the driveway to the shed.

Attachments

• tn_backing in ute-4.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-4.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 227
  • tn_backing in ute-5.jpg
    tn_backing in ute-5.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Back