Hard to start? Clutch wont engage unless I loosen spark plug?

skatevw

Local time
9:09 AM
Hi, New to this site, Bought this beast over the weekend, been sitting and have no history on it. I sprayed starting fluid in it, and started it, cool.... then noticed the Plug was loose in head, so I tightened it, now cant get motor to turn over? let out clutch and will not engage motor, UNLESS PLUG IS LOOSE? Seems like too high of compression? with loose, runs good, but won't idle, and scared the plug will blow out if I really go out to ride it, Any Ideas??

Bought this beast over the weekend
Hi skatevw, tell us more about the bike and engine (2 or 4 cycle). If this is a 2 cycle engine, don't use starting fluid. It will remove all lubrication from the crank and piston. How are you testing the compression? What's wrong with the clutch?

Hi, New to this site, Bought this beast over the weekend, been sitting and have no history on it. I sprayed starting fluid in it, and started it, cool.... then noticed the Plug was loose in head, so I tightened it, now cant get motor to turn over? let out clutch and will not engage motor, UNLESS PLUG IS LOOSE? Seems like too high of compression? with loose, runs good, but won't idle, and scared the plug will blow out if I really go out to ride it, Any Ideas??
Post a picture of what you have. Maybe the PO milled the head and now the piston tops out up against the sparkplug. Might need a thicker head gasket.

What spark plug is it ???...Brand and plug number...it may be a plug that does not belong in that motor...DAMIEN

Hi skatevw, tell us more about the bike and engine (2 or 4 cycle). If this is a 2 cycle engine, don't use starting fluid. It will remove all lubrication from the crank and piston. How are you testing the compression? What's wrong with the clutch?
nothing wrong with clutch, as long as I loosen the plug, letting air out of cylinder just a little, it will start fast and run, but can't run like that?

What spark plug is it ???...Brand and plug number...it may be a plug that does not belong in that motor...DAMIEN
that is not the problem, when the plug is tight, it makes so much compression that when I let go of clutch, it will not turn motor over, too tight. But when air pass's by the plug when loose, it starts easy.

Maybe the PO milled the head and now the piston tops out up against the sparkplug.
that is what I think, where is best to buy one?
And that poses the questions...

if the head was milled, was it done correctly ?

would there be any point of going a thicker gasket to compensate for a possibly bad head milling job ??

would it be better to just buy another stock head ???

and lastly, since you do not know what the PO did, is that a stock plug or did he replace it with an unknown plug, such as one with a projected tip that would be hit by the piston as @Chainlube has already mentioned as well ????

I think these are all valid questions to be asked at this point since this bike appears to be an unknown commodity via PO...DAMIEN

Is it a 66/80cc or the 100cc ?? . The 100cc motors have a lot of compression and are hard starting.

I dont know the size?

Attachments

• 20210621_102634-1.jpg
    20210621_102634-1.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 145
Back