Hard to start? Clutch wont engage unless I loosen spark plug?

This is where a compression release would come in handy, a lot of 70’s big bore 2-strokes had them.

Boy I wish. But as I say, if plug is tight, let clutch out, and the motor will NOT TURN OVER, it just slips from the clutch, only with extra air into the cylinder will it start?
You may need to tighten the flower nut on the clutch, if you ever get it to turn over under full compression it should run a lot better.

If the previous owner slipped the clutch a lot the pads may be worn to the point of needing to be replaced. Too much grease on the gears will sling everywhere inside the clutch cover, cleaning the clutch pad of grease can be done with brake cleaner. Spray the cleaner on a piece of cloth and rub the pads, clean the clutch plate as well.

Last edited:
That is a b**ch'n old cruzer! Springer forks, nice. Really, this engine has so much compression that the rear wheel locks up when you let the clutch out? Even if you are going really fast on pavement? If it is a problem with the head, new angle fire heads are readily available and affordable.

Oh, never mind :-0

Really, this engine has so much compression that the rear wheel locks up when you let the clutch out?
It could also be that the flower nut on the clutch pressure plate could be way to tight as well...just a thought of something else to look into...DAMIEN

Back