Hardly Up And Running

I got everything just so, and now it's running sweet.
Monarch forks: Much smoother than you would think. Absorbs shocks and rolls over rocks.
Triple spring seat: Nice and though it's low end, it still works great. A Brooks saddle would be better though.
80cc engine, ok I know it's not an 80 but that's how they sold it to me. Anyway, same set up is on my bike and this engine has a little more umph on the low end and it doesn't lose anything on the top end.
1942 Paratrooper Handle bars: Hmmm, good.

I built the tank myself out of 16 gauge steel. I made a pattern out of heavy single sided cardboard, and worked with it until I got the shape down where I wanted it. The stainless steel plate on top covers the bike frame, so you have to install the tank from up underneath the top bar. If I had to put the tank on top of the top bar I would have had two deep wells that would have needed to be connected so I would have ended up with not one hole in the bottom of the tank but three. I thought this would be better.
I probably colledted 2,000 pictures for this project, I saved a lot of them. Been thinking about putting them on a dvd to help others do their research.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I printed Hardly on the side for a couple of reasons. Yes, it's a bit of cuteness that has been getting a chuckle. But, I also did it so the uninformed wouldn't think it was a real Harley, this way even those who are not motorcycleists can enjoy it without feeling stupid. Just my thoughts. I had it base coated clear coated by a professional and I really wanted gray, but the painter thought it would look better black, and so Black and Gray were the two early choices I thought why not.

I think I see what you mean about the uninformed. And that causes another thought; think of what a, say, 1903 Harley would be worth. I'm assuming that these motored bikes are theft targets in themselves. An '03 Harley would be even worse. Your bike looks so authentic that it's probably good to have something that puts the thieves off of it.

And that rear tank looks like an excellent place for a tool kit, spare cables (my clutch cable broke on a ride yesterday, by the way. I guess I'd better carry a spare) and things like that.

That is a fine looking machine.

Last edited:
The rear panals under the frame is really just something to fill the void, and the original Harley's had the same look too. Yes, It could be used for tools or as a battery holder for your lights. The frame was a junked out 1940 Elgin, it had about 6 coats of very hard paint on it. Actually, when I ride it, this bike feels like it has legs and can really travel. It kinda exudes a sense of confidence in the bike. Not sure about the question: "How did I do it?"

The tank as I have said is made of 16 gauge steel. I got a big sheet of heavy cardboard from a hobby shop, folded it and cut it until I got the shape I liked. I ended up using the whole sheet even though by that time I had a pretty fair idea of the shape. The shape itself is pretty much an amalgum of many designs. I looked at a lot of pics I found on the web. I formed the reverse tunnel out of a single sheet of 16 gauge steel and shaped it to the curve of the top bar. I then cut the form of the outer tank out of a single sheet and bent it to shape, and welded it where it needed to be. I installed the tunnel and then shaped the sides of the tunnel and the sides of the tank using a flat edge and a grinder. Once that was done I welded on the two top plates. I used a mower gas tank filler spout as the filler spout on this unit. I also welded in 8 blind drilled and tapped studs, which hold the stainless steel tunnel cover in place.
I hope this helps with your project

Back