Has anyone ever done this?

Sorry, my phone just glitched out and wouldn’t let me respond in the same reply. Anyway, that bike of yours looks sweet! Thanks for the tip on the Hyper frame. I know this crazy build has a lot of small but complicated hurdles, like getting a 520 chain sprocket to work on the rear hub, not sure how I’m going to accomplish that entirely.
If I were you I'd see if I could get a set of moped wheels. Those would hold up much better to the power

You might be able to find 19inch moped wheels, at any rate 17inch moped wheels are equal in size to 21 inch bicycle wheels which would be about 13% smaller than 24inch bicycle wheels. Moped tires are speed rated, and if they pop they do not come off the rim. I’m pretty sure bicycle wheels with: sealed or cup and ball bearings, steel rim, thick spokes, chromaly axel with rear axel chain tensioners should be adequate.

Your mileage may vary but it seems more cost effective to buy motorcycle if you want to go over 40mph safely and consistently.
Thanks, and your comment is super logical. I only want to do it since I can’t find anywhere online anyone has ever done it. Would be crazy fast on something weighing 80ish pounds! I like fast motorcycles, own a few now, raced a lifetime ago, but to me this is something different and unique.

You might be able to find 19inch moped wheels, at any rate 17inch moped wheels are equal in size to 21 inch bicycle wheels which would be about 13% smaller than 24inch bicycle wheels. Moped tires are speed rated, and if they pop they do not come off the rim. I’m pretty sure bicycle wheels with: sealed or cup and ball bearings, steel rim, thick spokes, chromaly axel with rear axel chain tensioners should be adequate.
Yeah that’s good advice. Just would want them tall enough to not cut the top end. My bigger concern is getting a 520 small dirtbike sprocket to work on the hub.

Just had a thought 100cc. I'm thinking an older bike, steel frame with gusseted joints. They don't make those no more. Might be strong enough. Kinda like this but may look a lil different. A lot of 70s/80s bikes had them. Some BMX bikes had reinforcements too.

1717753572808.png

1717753658713.png

1717753741094.png

Just had a thought 100cc. I'm thinking an older bike, steel frame with gusseted joints. They don't make those no more. Might be strong enough. Kinda like this but may look a lil different. A lot of 70s/80s bikes had them. Some BMX bikes had reinforcements too.

View attachment 214295
View attachment 214296
View attachment 214297
Those aren't gussets, those are lugs. Except for chicago schwinns, bikes were brass brazed and those were much cheaper to make than fillet brazing.

Nice Little write up on brazing in the blogspot

"...Brazing is to take another metal, generally an alloy with a lower melting point than steel, and to join the steel tubes by melting this other metal and using it as a sort of "glue". This allows you to use thinner walled steel tubes while still building a sufficiently strong frame.

One way we could accomplishing brazing is by taking a hollow "elbow" of sorts that is bigger than the frame tubes, stick the tubes into the hollow elbow, and braze the whole thing together. When someone talks about an old, "lugged" frame, that's what he or she means..."

The meaning of gusset has expanded beyond fabric, broadly to denote an added patch of joining material that provides structural support. For example, metal gussets are used in bicycle frames to add strength and rigidity. Gussets may be used in retort pouches and other forms of packaging to allow the package to stand. Gusset plates, usually triangular, are often used to join metal plates and can be seen in many metal framed constructions. Expanding folders or accordion folders also employ gussets to allow for expansion when containing more than just a few sheets of paper. The gusset is also charge in heraldry, as is the gyron (an Old French word for gusset).

Back