Has anyone made a modern version of the Smith Motor Wheel?

3yt

Local time
4:17 AM
img_2.jpg

It's essentially a small motor on it's own wheel that bolts to any bike. Seems like making a modern version with a little 33cc engine would be really fun. Has anyone done something like this?

Haha, probably not. Seems easy to install though, maybe looks a little weird, if you know what i mean.

I can see that causing problems, such as will your back wheel come off the ground when you turn right? Do you lose all power to the ground when you turn left? Only way I see it working is a suspension system to compress or extend on turns to prevent those problems.

That would be OK, but it would be like a training wheel, i feel like it would kind of limit manueverability a little at least? It's like driving a tricycle? Kind of. I think? Lots of weight on one side.

I can see that causing problems, such as will your back wheel come off the ground when you turn right? Do you lose all power to the ground when you turn left? Only way I see it working is a suspension system to compress or extend on turns to prevent those problems.

I believe the connection point is on an axle so it would stay on the ground regardless of what way you turn.

it wouldnt be that hard to make,

you would need a china girl kit, and a 13in wheel, some steel, and a spring.

hmmm, might be my winter project, hint hint :whistle:

it wouldnt be that hard to make,

you would need a china girl kit, and a 13in wheel, some steel, and a spring.

hmmm, might be my winter project, hint hint :whistle:

Let me know how it goes!

I think the hardest part would be the frame surrounding the wheel. Any ideas how to to it without a welder?

Let me know how it goes!

I think the hardest part would be the frame surrounding the wheel. Any ideas how to to it without a welder?
With out a welder, you probably wont be able to make it (unless you use a LOT of right angle brackets and bolts)
You don't need the fender, you just would need to make the gas tank higher than the engine (engine would sit right next to the tire, driven by a jackshaft)
My design would use a pivot so when you turn, the motor and would continue straight, then the spring would return it back to place.

It would probably just be welded in place since were dealing with a lot more power. I dint think 2 thin tubes would support the china engine enough imho.

There is a reason that design didn't catch on, I'm sure it had something to do with the problems I pointed out. To get a stiff enough tension on a right turn to keep the drive wheel under power without it loosing traction would probably be too much for it to handle with left turn causing it to bring the rear bike wheel off the ground, making you run on a powered training wheel. If the shock is soft enough to allow the wheel to actuate properly in a left turn, then I doubt it will have enough suspension force to keep the drive wheel on the ground in a right hand turn. It was a poor design, there is a reason it didn't make it.
If you did this as a pusher, then as long as it has brakes (think about jackknifing a semi with a trailer that has power, trailer brakes straighten it out) then you should be golden.

Perhaps i'm not understanding, Would you need suspension? The weight of the wheel and engine seem like it would be enough to provide traction. With an axle on the connection point the tire would just pivot side to side with turns.

Back