Has Anyone Mid Frame-mounted A Subaru/Mits/Honda/Tanaka Engine?

I've been riding one of the SBP 4-stroke shift kit bikes for going on 4 months now and have given some thought to also setting up another bike using the EOH35. My current set up is the Honda GXH50 with the Grubee III gearbox. This gearbox is only 3.7:1 . If what you are looking for is to mount the motor low in the frame I think that Dax's 3.25:1 Duplex Chain reduction box would be what you are looking for. (see photos) This unit would be a direct mount up to the EOH35, and the output sprocket can be for #41 chain which would be compatiable with the SBP Jackshaft sprockets/cogs. This would make for a much narrower motor package. I also think that you would have more that enough reduction using this Dax unit as well.

ocscully

Attachments

• MVC-003L39-745x562.jpg
    MVC-003L39-745x562.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 357
  • MVC-010L10-189x131.jpg
    MVC-010L10-189x131.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 375
Thanks OCscully, i checked gear ratios and i think it may just work, please tell me if im incorrect :)

just want to check widths now on my frame :)

Attachments

• df.JPG
    df.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 356
I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are going to purchase one of SBP 4-stroke shift kits to use as the base for your set-up? I'm also assuming that you are wanting to use #41 chain (1/2" pitch)? Dax offers a 10t PTO driver (power take off) that fits the output shaft of the 3.25:1 reduction box. So using the calulator 10 in the first field and 32.5 in the second field gives you 3.25:1. then the output of the box is a 10t then 10 again in the third field which will drive a 17t driven on the left side of the jackshaft, so 17 into the forth field, this equals 1.70:1 reduction. The right side of the jackshaft has a 9t driver on it so 9 goes into the fifth field and the driven sprocket on your crankset is a 48t so 48 goes into the sixth field. this equals 5.33:1, for a over all reduction of 29.47:1 before you factor in your multi speed freewheel/cassette. I ran some #'s using the 36t to an 11-34 rear cogstack and think that the ratios might be a bit on the high side. You would probably find that using a 30t on the front chainrings to be a more suitable range. If you want to run the #'s your self just input 10 into the first field and then 294.7 into the second to get your 29.47:1 reduction then you can input any combination of front chain rings 30t, 36t into the third field and any # of cog sizes from 11t - 34t into the forth field. Leave the fifth and sixth fields at 1.

ocscully

Hi oc,

i have machined a 8t sprocket for a 1" chain ( i say machine it was more like a few afternoons, "hand crafting" a sprockt with a template and angle grinder :rolleyes:), i already have the gb. The only thing ill be buying is http://eclipsebikes.com/chainwheel-cranks-p-1008.html (frewheel crank) and some sheet metal and hardware for the mount. if anythink im worried how it will feel? but i dont think there any calculators for that :rolleyes:

i think ill just "get out and ride" once its ready :)

Still thinking about center-frame mounting either my Tanaka 47R or GP460 engine. Right now, the Tanaka is a few inches from sitting on my lap, using a medium frame and Scooterguy mount.:whistle:

You must be doing something right, if Puch and Tomos mount their engines the same way.:unsure:

Back