Has anyone painted a hub brake wheel and spokes?

Local time
7:19 AM
I'm putting the finishing touches on the Andian and I'd love to put a drum brake on the front springer of my bike. Problem is, all the brakes are either chrome or silver. The wheels I currrently have on my bike are silver spokes with black rims and hubs. I would love to have entirely black wheels, brake hub and even spokes. Has anyone painted the entire wheel?

I can buy a brake, black wheel and spokes separately but, that would cost me big time, especially since I've never laced up a wheel before and I don't know if a MB should be the first thing I learn on. I thought of getting the Sturmey Archer brake and wheel from Husky and just painting it. If they had it in black, it would be a no brainer! Please help! Any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Finished2.jpg
    Finished2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 250
The only difficulty you would have is chrome. Chrome is real hard and smooth. While any surface you paint needs to have micro grooves( like a sanded surface) to cling to. You could try to sand the chrome- if the part is chromed.
Of course, the paint will tend to stay on when it is a part not subject to scratches or wear.
Remember that a painted rim with a rim type brake will wear the paint right off. Even baked on enamel will go eventually.

Personally, I paint (with clear spray)every part on a new outdoor object that isn't painted, for rust resistance.
Chrome, aluminum, zinc coated, all fare better around here when protected from the weather.

I just finished painting a badly rusted chrome tandem rear wheel. I took the wheel ( minus the brake parts ) to a machine shop that sandblasted everything.Then i primed everything with Duplicolor gray primer, and painted it with Duplicolor wheel silver paint, then several coats of Duplicolor clear. Been doing this for years with excellent results.

Buck

Your best bet is to have them powdercoated. It comes in all colors and is very durable. Typically, the powdercoater will sandblast the parts before coating. Just be sure they mask the areas where the brearings, brakes, etc. are so there is no pitting or powdercoat to interfere with the mechanics of the wheels. I have had several sets of wheels done with great results.

Back