Has Anyone Tried a M.M. Billet Head ??

This is something new to me. I was always taught that the heat range of a plug meant that the electrode maintained heat better to resist fouling and better combustion. I never knew that it had anything to do removing heat from an engine. Thanks for bringing this up.

I'm with you, Neon.
To remove more heat from the engine, the plug would need to have much larger mass and/or surface area, much like adding more fins to the head. The very minor differences between plug types would have little or no effect on actually removing heat from the engine. How could a plug with, for instance, 1mm more or less of porcelain and /or electrode possibly transfer more heat to the atmosphere?

Ok , read what NGK had to say about heat range. Still doesn't say anything about the actual plug removing heat from the engine. Yes it transfers heat to the head. But doesn't cause heat removal in anyway shape or form. The head does that. Be it with larger fins or better materials that remove heat quicker. That was all i was getting at in the first place. It does not directly transfer heat. Besides i have a very hard time believing anything NGK says. I have had maybe one plug out of ten that were any good. I have had threads that break off in the hole, not due to them being too tight either, but usually they last about a whole week and i have to replace them.

Last edited:
Well alls i can say is this puppy i built rips

Im gonna go make some video now.

The heat range of the plug is important.

Mod your engine and find out the hard way.

Just trying to help you guys out.

Please don't beat me for it.

If i run a NGK B6HS i will get ping.

If i run a NGK B9HS the engine runs cooler and i dont get any ping.

That's what i'm saying.

I never said heat range wasn't important. There are a lot of things that are important when modding an engine to consider. Are the bearings tough enough to take it? Is the fuel air mixture proper? and the list goes on. Just a spark plug itself doesn't transfer heat out of an engine by itself

Once again, I'm with you Neon.
Rich, I read that article too. Very informative, but it clearly says that the heat range relates to the plug tip temperature, not to removing heat from the engine:-
NGK_Article_Excerpt said:
When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

We both did some reading as you suggested, now perhaps you should do the same.

Last edited:
Man you guys are being tuff on Rich! Ive been building race bikes and racing myself since i was a kid, so i know more than the average bear. What you guys arent grasping is the a hotter plug litteraly gets hotter. This causes pinging(pre-igniton). The a cooler plug transfers heat from the plug to the head quicker, thus lowereing the heat inside the combustion chamber. 2 hot of a plug basically creates a hot spot, causing the fuel to preignite, witch creates excess heat, the plug gets hotter, it pings even worse, creating more heat, then you melt the piston. You guys are focusing on the wrong aspect of heat transfer. Its the heat maintained in the combustion chamber at the plug itself.

Back