Has anyone tried to register as a Moped

I had wondered if you bought an old moped frame and attached that vin
# would that help . If you think about it it might give you more options

Has anyone used ITS (International Title Service) I called them and am going to look in to it. Looks like it might work for PA.

I see that the direction my intro post has taken is the subject of this thread, so here's my status with the same issue.

I plan to buy a Currie e-zip Trailz. I called the notary I normally deal with, who confirmed that it would need to be registered as a moped to be driven on the street. He also told me that I would need a Manufacturers Statement of Origin and a VIN to title the bike and that a VIN could be the serial number. I'm not sure if this implies any kind of DOT or other regulatory approval by virtue of having it, but a quick search of Google seemed to indicate that Currie bikes do not come with an MSO. I called Currie's tech support number and the nice lady checked into the issue and ultimately ended up refering me to the email of the tech support manager so she had something to run up the chain of command. I sent:

> From: <removed for spambots>
> To: <removed for spambots>
> Subject: Pennsylvania requires ebike to register as mopeds - MSO
> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:06:03 -0500
>
>
> Hi. My name is <friedlbug>, and I was referred to you when I called the tech support number for Currie today. I'd like to purchase an e-zip Trailz, but have found that PA law considers this a moped requiring titling, registration, and insurance. I'm OK with this, but have since found out that I need a VIN number and manufacturers statement of origin to get the PA title. According to the notary I spoke with, the VIN is just the bike's serial number. The MSO must reference the VIN. Once I have the MSO and get insurance, I can title the bike and register it.
>
> If you could find out about getting an MSO for or let me know anything additional about registering it in PA, please let me know. Also, if you find that you can get an MSO once I purchase the bike, please let me know who to contact and who I can reference when the time comes to get it.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
> <friedlbug>
> perspective Currie bike owner

So, we'll see how this goes.

I received an email response directly from Mr. Larry Pizzi, CEO of Currie Technologies, only four hours after sending the above email. It contains excellent news regarding the need for registration of electric bikes. I plan to post the documents he sent me, but would prefer to post his response email as well. I'm waiting for his permission to post his response now.

As promised:
To: <removed for spambots>
CC: <removed for spambots>
Subject: RE: Pennsylvania Law regarding eBikes
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:00:23 -0500

Thank you very much for responding to me so quickly, Mr. Pizzi. I greatly appreciate the CEO of Currie Tech responding to my questions, especially within four hours of sending them. I have been posting my registration questions and an excerpt of the email I sent to <head of Tech Support> on a motored biking website. Would you mind if I posted your response so others in my situation can read it as well?

<friedlbug>

> From: <removed for spambots>
> To: <removed for spambots>
> CC: <removed for spambots>
> Subject: Pennsylvania Law regarding eBikes
> Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:07:49 -0800
>
> Hi <friedlbug>,
>
> Thanks for your email. I am not certain what the acronym "MSO" refers to
> however, I have attached some information that may be helpful to you. Also,
> you may want to contact the Electric Drive Transportation Association in
> Washington, DC to answer your questions about the law.
>
> As you can see from the Federal law that passed in January 2002, that low
> speed electric bicycles (all our products meet these qualifications to be
> defined as such) are to be considered consumer products and NOT motor
> vehicles. The law also states that it supersedes any State law that may be
> more restrictive or stringent.
>
> In Pennsylvania, the law on the books was written to address gas powered
> Mopeds that were popular in the 1970's and the Federal law was written this
> way specifically to address State Moped laws.
>
> I hope this helps and that you will be enjoying one of our electric bicycles
> very soon.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Larry Pizzi
>
> President
>
> CURRIE TECHNOLOGIES

February 3, 2003
ELECTRIC BIKES RECLASSIFIED AS CONSUMER PRODUCTS
In December, President Bush signed into law legislation introduced by Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL) that transfers jurisdiction over low-speed electric bikes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which already regulates consumer products such as bicycles. The law (Public Law 107-319/HR 727) defines a low-speed electric bicycle as a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750
watts (1 horsepower) and a maximum speed of 20 mph when ridden by an operator weighing 170 lbs. Further, the law clarifies that a low speed electric bicycle shall not be considered a motor vehicle, and therefore is not subject to motor vehicle safety standards and enforcement, but shall be subject to CPSC regulations. Under the law, CPSC has authority to promulgate new or additional regulations for such products. Finally, the new law supercedes any existing State laws that may be more stringent than the federal guidelines for such products. If you have questions about this issue, contact EDTA at 202.508-5995.

Attachments

• FEBL.pdf
    662.3 KB · Views: 513
That's great to hear about a nice thing our prez has done.
How much does Currie want for it ? I just noticed it at Walmart.com for 348. Free shipping to your closest Walmart too. Walmart sucks, but their prices are good. :D

Yeah, it's a good price. I'm still on the fence, though. Money is tight, and I'm under pressure to just drive my 35MPG/city car or build something. I know I'll get nailed if I tried to commute on a gas-assist bike, though. And the same response above precludes any chance of a bike serial number being a VIN - it's not a motor vehicle. Screwed.

I have a neat article on building an ebike on the cheap, but I'd have to find the right stuff and not end up spending more by the time I did it right.

I received an email response directly from Mr. Larry Pizzi, CEO of Currie Technologies, only four hours after sending the above email. It contains excellent news regarding the need for registration of electric bikes. I plan to post the documents he sent me, but would prefer to post his response email as well. I'm waiting for his permission to post his response now.

Can you get the lowdown on the gas engines rules and regs.??? for PA also. I know the regulations for a moped, but still wanting to know about the motor assisted bicycle. Thanks

Can you get the lowdown on the gas engines rules and regs.??? for PA also. I know the regulations for a moped, but still wanting to know about the motor assisted bicycle. Thanks
No such thing under PA law - a gas-assisted bike is a moped. And since they are a motor vehicle according to PA but not according to the feds, they don't have the VIN needed for titling in PA.

Back