Has anyone tried to register as a Moped

No such thing under PA law - a gas-assisted bike is a moped. And since they are a motor vehicle according to PA but not according to the feds, they don't have the VIN needed for titling in PA.

Maybe i should've clearified my question a little better, I know all about the laws, But i was wondering if you could've emailed him a question about the making these things as legal as an electric one due to the low cc engine, same stipulations as the electric one you aquired about. Then again, **** on it, i'll just keep riding it until I'm asked by a cop. I've been riding for about 8 months and passed many cops and never got questioned. Then Again I always acted like i was peddling past them

I've been told my several people now that the referenced Federal law above applies only to safety regulation and does not supercede requirments for registration, titling, and so on. Again limbo. Considering this, I wrote the following email to my state representative:

Dear Representative Levdansky,
Low-powered electric bicycles are classified by the Federal Government and the governments of the World's industrialized nations as consumer products and not motor vehicles, however Pennsylvania has classified these bikes as mopeds, and thus, motor vehicles. As such, they are illegal to use due to the requirement to be registered, and therefor titled, which is impossible because of the lack of VIN number. Please assist the residents of Pennsylvania by helping to enact law that would classify these vehicles as bicycles, similar to the law of Ohio, California, and many other states. I'd be happy to provide more information on this subject if you'd like.

Thank you for your consideration,
<friedlbug>

BTW, I didn't think Mr. Pizzi was the right place to address this one. On e the subject of gas-assist, I think one step at a time is prudent.

I am looking in to registering my rig as a Moped in Pennsylvania.
As far as a gray area from what I have read if it has a motor it
is a MV and that is that. No inspection, insurance of around
$70.00 a year is not to bad. I am just wondering how they are
going to handle the title. Bicycles do not have one and I really
do not know if Mopeds come with one either.

Anybody tried this or has any info it would be appreciated.

Anyway I have a Mongoose Bike and a GEBE on the way on Monday.

The plus side our township has no police force, BUT they use the State Police
and they do not let you off quickly.

I hope not.

I'm surprised to hear that it has been so troublesome for you. Here in Colorado, anything under 50cc can be registered as a "motorized bicycle"(moped). However, if the vehicle has pedals, it is considered a motorized bicycle regardless of engine size. All you have to do here is fill out a form with all of your personal info, where you bought the thing(or in this case the engine kit), and the frame number. Then you send it off with a check for $2.50 and they mail you a sticker that is good for 3 years. No insurance required.

I'm surprised to hear that it has been so troublesome for you. Here in Colorado, anything under 50cc can be registered as a "motorized bicycle"(moped). However, if the vehicle has pedals, it is considered a motorized bicycle regardless of engine size. All you have to do here is fill out a form with all of your personal info, where you bought the thing(or in this case the engine kit), and the frame number. Then you send it off with a check for $2.50 and they mail you a sticker that is good for 3 years. No insurance required.

that is exactly what i'm hopeing they will do here in PA, if we get the write information out!

My friend just got a driving under suspension on his motoried bike. My other friend had the cops threaten to take his bike away next time they seem
him. all 3 of us have suspended licenses and wanted to do this to avoid driving a car. but we are still screwed.

the one keeps saying the federal government protects you if you use the bike for inter-state commerce.

In most states you are required to have a valid drivers license to operate ANY vehicle whether a motor assisted bicycle or car or motorcycle, on ANY road in that state; if your license is revoked or suspended and you are operating a motorized vehicle, you are in violation of motor vehicle laws...when we lose our licenses because we broke the law, there are consequences we must pay and no matter that it is inconvenient to us, we are not exempt from the consequence which we created; you screwed yourself with the choice you made to break the law in the first place... I know, been there, done that, 3 times!!

My friend just got a driving under suspension on his motoried bike. My other friend had the cops threaten to take his bike away next time they seem
him. all 3 of us have suspended licenses and wanted to do this to avoid driving a car. but we are still screwed.
Hmm... my license will be suspended for a month, starting in 5 days... and the city has some kinda rule against non-registered vehicles with motors getting on city roads. That's what the police chief told me, and he mentions that he's gotten tons of kids on Go-Peds. Luckily, I've ridden by at least 5 cops while on city roads & the cops don't seem to care. It's tough to argue with someone who can just pedal away with ease after being scolded by The Man.

the one keeps saying the federal government protects you if you use the bike for inter-state commerce.
Squeeze me?? I don't understand this one bit. How could one use a motored bike for interstate commerce? And how does the federal government protect them?

licensed as moped in Oregon

I've got my 49cc licensed as a moped here in Oregon. It took awhile, but I've got it set up with turn signals, brake lights, headlights and a horn. It's all quite legal. I went to the DMV and they issued a VIN number. Of course I needed to insure it. I have a license plate with a plate light. All the lights are LED with nickle metal hydride battery pack. I've been commuting back and forth to work. I love it!!!

Back