Has the H.R. 727 Bill Passed?

B

bkzoner

I've been researching the part of H.R. 727 (see below) that addresses electric bikes. For those unaware of the bill, the passage of H.R. 727 would create a nationwide definition of electric bicycles.

I can't seem to find out if this bill has actually been passed. Does anyone know?

Also, I'd like something that will print out on one page that I can carry with me that states that my bike is street-legal, yet not defined as a motor vehicle, to present to law enforcement or others if the need arises.

H.R. 727:

To amend the Consumer Product Safety Act to provide that low-speed electric bicycles are consumer products subject to such Act. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY ACT.
The Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2051 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:
LOW-SPEED ELECTRIC BICYCLES
SEC. 38. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, low-speed electric bicycles are consumer products within the meaning of section 3(a)(1) and shall be subject to the Commission regulations published at section 1500.18(a)(12) and part 1512 of title 16, Code of Federal Regulations.
(b) For the purpose of this section, the term `low-speed electric bicycle' means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.
(c) To further protect the safety of consumers who ride low-speed electric bicycles, the Commission may promulgate new or amended requirements applicable to such vehicles as necessary and appropriate.
(d) This section shall supersede any State law or requirement with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law or requirements referred to in subsection (a).'.
SEC. 2. MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS.
For purposes of motor vehicle safety standards issued and enforced pursuant to chapter 301 of title 49, United States Code, a low-speed electric bicycle (as defined in section 38(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Act) shall not be considered a motor vehicle as defined by section 30102(6) of title 49, United States Code.
Union Calendar No. 4 107th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 727

I'm not certain why anyone with an interest in e-bikes would want this to pass.

First off, it sets a rather low power and speed limit.
Secondly, it doesn't guarantee that states will allow e-bikes any more than they did before.

All it would seem to do would be to remove e-bikes from US states considering them as motor vehicles, which most didn't anyway.
~

Sorry to dust off an old topic, but I'm trying to learn more about eBike laws in my state (North Carolina). HR 727 did pass in 2001 and, if I'm reading this correctly, Section 2 would mean that a Low Speed Electric Bicycle is not categorized as a motor vehicle and thus would have the same requirements, limitations and protections as a bicycle. Further, if this law conflicts with State Law, then HR 727 would prevail. I've yet to find any pertinent NC state law on the topic.

Back