Has Your Health Improved Since Riding A Motorized Bike?

I find my bike's greatest health benefits in order of importance are:
1. Greatly improved mood from getting out and about and being able to smell the countryside.
2. Increased blood circulation from pedalling along with the motor and straining a bit on hills - greatly improved knee joints but no noticeable benefit to neck and shoulders.
3. I get some Vitamin D on a sunny day.
4. I can't smoke cigarettes when I'm riding my bike.
5. I got to beat the daylights out of a yobbo who screamed insults at me and my lady told me I looked 10 years younger when I got home.
The negative aspects are:
1. I sustained bad injuries when I fell off.
2. I got skin cancers on my arms from riding without protection from the sun and also sun spots on my head from the slots in the helmet.
3. I get severe frights when yahoos come past from behind leaning out of car windows screaming at me.
4. I get angry when inconsiderate drivers try to run me off the road or sit on my tail honking.
5. I feel bad about the yobbo I beat up - especially when I see him again.

About a month ago I realized I wasn't getting too much exercise commuting to work on "The Dragon Lady". I was only pedalling a few seconds off the start or on a steep hill when traffic forced me to slow down.

I keep a 21-speed bike at work, which I was supposed to ride to McD's or BK.

:unsure:Then I got this brilliant idea of pedalling this nonmotorized bike every day for exercise during lunch hour!

Because of the crazy drivers I ride on the sidewalk or bike lane at a reasonable speed. Heading west on the bike path is a safer bikepath, but nothing to see but cars and asphalt. Heading east towards Waikiki is a more beautiful ride past Honolulu Harbor and the beach parks.

NOW I'm beginning to feel like I've exercised riding a bike.:cry:

But I'd NEVER commute pedalling a bicycle. Too dangerous for the streets of Honolulu.:geek:

Yep, I'm out the door soon to meet Hawaii Ed at McD's!

I think it's a 20-mile trip of riding with the bulls(aka cars, trucks and buses, tractor trailers,etc.)

Motorized, of course!:giggle:

UPDATE: It turned out to be a 30.5 mile roundtrip, according to mapquest.com.

Gas mileage was about 93mpg, mostly at full throttle. Divide that figure by two engines, and I'm getting 46.5mpg.

Here I am in the center of my lane, and this Toyota enters my lane to pass between me and the car in the left lane.

When I caught up to him at the stoplight, I just had to rap on the passenger-side window and give him and his wife a piece of my mind. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly for me, it's not my health as such that has improved riding a motorised pushbike, but my overall level of fitness has improved quite substantially as i'm always pedalling with the motor.
The relaxed rymthmic motion of helping out the motor, without the stress of busting your guts out has seen quite a rise in my fitness levels.

Fabian

Skeptics, old fat people and normal bike riders question me about the health aspects of riding an MB instead of a "normal" bicycle. :rolleyes:

"You're not gonna get any exercise riding that bike".

Instead of arguing the point, I merely state that this motorized bike is strictly for transportation.

HOWEVER, I've been noticing the positively healthy benefits of riding a pedal ASSISTED bicycle...especially if you put great effort in pedalling.

I pedal and ride about 75 miles weekly. Mostly riding, maybe 80%/20%.

I've been assisting my engine in reaching its optimum rpm range. Using a 1.5" friction roller takes a LOT of effort to get the bike to top speed.
At age 62, my joints are more limber with less aches and pain. My back doesn't hurt while I'm trying to sleep.

Anyone else feeling healthier since riding their MB?

LOL!

YOu are not bicycling anymore, I call it power sporting.

Back