Has Your Ride Paid for Itself?

MBs Paying for Themselves

That's something I think about a lot. In fact, I think that was way I talked myself into buying my bike--I figured it would pay for itself over the summer with gas prices being the way they are. So, let's do the math:

I've put roughly 1,000 miles on it this summer, and I figure that it gets 125 mpg. So, that means (figuring gas at $4) I've boughten 8 gallons at $32.00.:)

NOW, with my truck, putting on 1,000 miles at 15 mpg (it's a gas hog), that's 66.67 gallons for a total of $266.68.:eek:

Since I paid $425 for the bike, and since I can figure I've saved $234.68, I figure that the bike is at least 1/2 paid for!!! :cool::cool::cool:

I'm a bit over 7 hundred dollars ahead when it comes to gas consumption if I never owned a Motoredbike and I use my truck to go the same distances. so yes. MOOP my 2 stroke happy time has been payed off and it's not even a year old. That thing's been payed off two months into riding. Cronus,my 4 stroke rack mount will be payed off in another 200 miles. And we're not talking serious miles here. MOOP has about 2,000 miles. Cronus about 1,200 miles.

I have only ridden about 800 miles so far but am counting my savings. More I have lost 20 lbs just in being more active and if I don't get run over or something drastic this saves Dr and work out bills too.

Awesome! This is great stuff. Very encouraging to hear. It must be very satisfying to be in a position where your MB is almost paying you to ride it. Can't wait to get mine on the road.

Keep the testimonies coming!

Perhaps an overlooked and yet intangible aspect of all this is the decrease in wear-and-tear to your car.....the longer you're out riding your MB, the longer your car stays parked in your driveway, theoretically. Don't know how you'd quantify that in terms of $$$ added into the bike-paying-for-itself equation, but it's gotta be in there somewhere, right?

Rob.

I'd have to add in, the miles of smiles :D That's gotta be worth something!

could bugs in the teeth be considered free food?:LOL:

Seriously..... no car, no payments, no insurance premiums,taxes, tags, etc.

yup...well worth it.

MB's are more tinkertoys for me than transportation so no they havent really paid for themselves BUT they entertain me for hours on end customizing and riding so thats years worth of other distractions and activities that I never had to pay for. As far as hobbies go they're relatively inexpensive too.

Perhaps an overlooked and yet intangible aspect of all this is the decrease in wear-and-tear to your car.....the longer you're out riding your MB, the longer your car stays parked in your driveway, theoretically. Don't know how you'd quantify that in terms of $$$ added into the bike-paying-for-itself equation, but it's gotta be in there somewhere, right?

Rob.

Definitely. And a good point that's often overlooked. There is a cost BESIDES just gas to drive a vehicle. Point well taken.

Warner

If you figure it on the IRS standard of 50.5c per mile, which accounts for fuel use as well as average wear and tear on a vehicle, that might get you a little closer to the real savings.

On mine, I've done around 370 miles now. 370 x 50.5c/mile= $186.85. I've spent around $400 on the bike upgrades and engine and at a measured 135mpg, have used around 2.74 gallons so far. That is around $11 in gas costs.

So, mine is almost halfway paid for.

Here are some mileages with the IRS mileage rate of compensation..

100 mi = $50.50
250 mi = $126.25
500 mi = $252.50
1000 mi = $505.00
2000 mi = $1010.00
5000 mi = $2525.00

Last edited:
Back