hating huashengs highly!!!

HeadSmess

Local time
7:47 AM
i hate having to do this...

i have been beaten. beaten!

ok, way back... i recieved the huasheng whatever it is 50.

fitted it all up nice with acentrifugal clutch, chain drive, freewheeling sprocket, blah blah. lots of machining :D better than the abortion that was already fitted to it...

was lovely! nice quiet four stroke grunt, able to pull from idle up any hill :D and accelerate... got the reduction just right ;)

so, yes, sounds great, huh?

thats what i thought...then! arrrrrgh!

riding to a friends one day,(a good 700km of use) it just up and died.

bit of fiddling, nothing seemingly wrong.
started with the choke on. ran...badly. died as soon as i tried letting choke off.

ah huh! a blocked main jet! so i get home finally, strip the carb.

nothing. and still the same. runs like $#^%

really strip carb. replace the two little o-rings, cleared the idle orifices with a nylon bristle, everything out with compressed air. soak in some nasty solvent ive got that will clean any residue off...

reassemble. still no good.

made manifold, replaced carbie with one off of a c50... nothing.

changed plug for fourth time.

nothing.

replaced hi tension lead. nothing.

pulled head, ground valves, reset clearances, checked ignition timing.

nothing.

full compression.spark.fuel.timing correct, both ignition and valve. nothing doing what it shouldnt...except run!

so now...

its sat outside for the past 5 months :)

i have never. ever. ever. had an engine die for what is apparently no reason at all. killed a lot, yes, but theyre different... this is new,(was) and stock standard!

the only thing i can think of, that i cant change...easily anyway, is the coil..

so what? what is it? any suggestions?

(i really hope someone asks if i turned the fuel on :LOL: )

I had a similar thing happen to me, where it would only run (and badly at that) with the choke on. Turns out it was a bad float in the carb. A new float took care of the problem, and it has been running great since.

Are you getting good flow from the tank? It happened to me. The little strainer on the inside of the tank at the petcock was the problem. I would get fuel but not enough to run.

Jim

Last edited:
Poor little engine

I did read, somewhere, that a guy had a sick running HS142F (the only other one I have heard of). His flywheel had slipped, changing the ignition timing, and making the engine run sick.

Mike

I have a HS with the same problem, it just happened one day. I haven't had time to go through the list of things that could be wrong yet. I'm thinking about getting a Briggs and doing some frame hacking to make it fit. Or maybe just buying a new HS.

I did read, somewhere, that a guy had a sick running HS142F (the only other one I have heard of). His flywheel had slipped, changing the ignition timing, and making the engine run sick.

Mike

im 99% certain the timing is right, but to pull the flywheel right off and check the key, if any?

i didnt do that!

hmmmmmmmm.

ok...am i motivated enough to go look at it right now?

ive been meaning to strip it down lately.... hmmmmmmm. cant make it any worse....

aye. cheers :D

regards fuelling issues. nope. always had a full bowl, etc...

Last edited:
Question: Is it popping and backfiring?

If so...plastic cam gear is @$^@#$@#.

Happened to me. Mine is now in a billion pieces and sitting in a cardboard box.

That could be the problem with mine. It started backfiring and seemed like the exhaust valve stayed open sometimes while I was riding it

That could be the problem with mine. It started backfiring and seemed like the exhaust valve stayed open sometimes while I was riding it

The cam gear is fun to get to. You have to completely dissasemble both sides of the bottom end.

Back