have a 2 stroke and would like to get a lil more speed

billy270

Local time
9:23 AM
i am building a 26 inch beach cruser.... what are the best ways of geting speed out of it i waigh about 200lbs i had 1 custom bike i done it was about 31 mph with out the baffel in the exaust all stock kit... i see some thing on the sprokets for the rear.... what would a 46 do over a 44 and how about a 50 over a 44 i am real new to this so be cool about it plz how about the carbs for the 80 cc any help is good

so lets say i put a biger one on it would not go as fast..... and if i put a smaller it will go faster ...... so what if i was to put a biger sproket on the motor and a smaller in the rear prehaps revers with a 44 on the motor and a smaller on rear..... i need to be able to pick up speed fast and still have good enough power to haul my tool box ....

if you go bigger in the front sprocket its like putting a smaller one on the back .so if you put bigger in front and smaller on back that'll be way to big of a jump for the power band of the motor.you will not have no lowend power for takeing off or hence getting you to top speed.or you can go with a shift kit to keep power up thru the gears

Last edited:
i dont know much about the shift kits i am reading a lil about them but my bike dont dave gears......

more speed...

If you only have a one-speed cruiser , and a one-speed motor you don't have many options .
i have worked on that combination for some time , just get a 36 tooth sprocket , and an expansion pipe if you have the $$$ .
The shift kit is the only way to get low end take-off power AND high speed , 40 mph + . But you need to start with a multi-speed bike .

how much work u think it would be to start with a single speed and do u think the walmart schwinn is a good canidate for the shift kit

I'd actually like to know more about this aswell. I haven't built my bike yet, but I actually prefer 1-Speed Bikes. Does this severely limit my ability to go fast on the low and top end? Would an expansion pipe give me enough of a boost?

I think my main concern is being able to take off fairly quickly as well as go up steep hills.

Billy, first up, you really should have posted this in the 'Frame-Mounted Drive Trains' section, if it's a gearing problem, to get the most appropriate answers.

It sounds like you're actually looking for more torque rather than speed, to carry weight.
A speed increase, (gearing-wise), will decrease the bike's ability to pull a load.
Some engine mods will be in order if you want both, with a single-speed bike.
An expansion chamber will only give a decent power increase in one part of the rev range, the rpm that it's 'tuned' for. (Still worth fitting. I have one here that I'll fit soon when I get the time.)

To get what you want, it's worth fitting gears and a shift kit. Best thing since sliced bread. I have one on my bike and would never go back to a single-speed.
5mph in first, 50mph in 6th on a gradual downhill. Can climb anything.
(There's some pics of the shift kit drive train in the album on my profile page.)
How many other motor vehicles have only one gear? There's a reason for that.

Billy, I meant to add this link. JPilot's Gear Ratio Calculator. It's a gear ratio calculator, (as the name suggests), that will calculate rpm for speed at a given gearing.
Best way to get an accurate result is to sit on the bike with your weight evenly distributed and the valve stem at the bottom, then roll forward one turn, measure the distance covered, divide by pi, then enter that as the 'diameter' value.
The primary gear is 20 teeth, the secondary is 82 teeth, countershaft is 10 teeth, then enter the rear sprocket size.
Leave the other boxes as they are. (1:1)

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Noel, for your intended use, go with low gearing. ie. Large rear sprocket.
(Low speed, higher torque.)
That's the best for fast acceleration and hill-climbing.

Last edited:
Will I still be able to reach speeds up to 35mph? I just cant see myself spending $160+ on a shift kit when thats how much the engine kit costs.

Back