Have parts, need help on chanel size (friction drive "staton")

zibbyk

Have parts, (friction drive )

I have some spare parts I got from friend and I would like to put it together with honda 1.6hp using comfort bike with wheels 700.
The drive roller I have is 1" and my weight 210. will need no more the 20mph is the set up ok for the size tire 700? I am not sure what is the 700 wheels somthing like 27-28?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

stude13

uhho, sounds like industrial espionage. i need those specs also. the roller should be 1 1/4 +

Esteban

Don't know,, but it sounds like '', you are trying to copy a design someone has put many hours & $$ into. Look at some pix of rack mounts that are all over this website ! It is not hard to design your own,,, & it may be a better design,,, && you get that " feel good 'cause I did it, feeling !"

zibbyk

I can design propably even better. My point was that the parts I got are staton and the whole unit was purchased but the chanel missing. If I use same dimension I can keep replacing parts from staton in the future. But if that is problem I will design from scratch my own.

loquin

I believe staton sells the channel also.

The tire size has no bearing at all on the bike speed when using a friction drive. A 1 inch roller, at 7000 rpm, moves the bike 3.141 inches per revolution. (a point on the circumference of the roller moves pi * d per revolution.) Multiplying this value times 60 (to get inch-revs per hour), then dividing by the number of inches in a mile (12*5280) results in the miles per hour. This works out to 20.8 MPH

Last edited:

zibbyk

Thank you loguin

I will go with 1.250 drive then, so I do not have to go full throthle
I looked and could not find the channel from thier site.

loquin

Maybe Staton doesn't sell just the channel. He does sell the kit, without the motor & throttle cable though.

Esteban

I understand , now. The 700 tires should work fine, but for the best performance, you will probably have to try different tread designs.

zibbyk

When I look for the tire what shuld I consider? presure, tread (*what kind of tread)? I have moutain bike with mountain tire which need to be replace 26 -1.95-2.10 what tire shuld I get? so is also easy for riding witout motor. Shuld it be narrow in front wide in back?

Thank you

Esteban

When I look for the tire what shuld I consider? presure, tread (*what kind of tread)? I have moutain bike with mountain tire which need to be replace 26 -1.95-2.10 what tire shuld I get? so is also easy for riding witout motor. Shuld it be narrow in front wide in back?

Thank you

Some times it takes a little experimentation to find the right tire. I had one that I changed the knobby mountain bike tires, 26 x 1.95, to a 26 x 1.5, on front & rear. The tread is pretty slick, like a city tire. I am talking about a friction drive system. The drive roller grips well, & with less rolling resistance, I could get a little better speed out of it, & it made it easier when just pedalling. [ I do that more than motoring ] One drawback, the skinnier the tire , the worse the ride comfort is.