Having issues registering my electric motorcycle in FL

madfire345

Local time
11:59 PM
Hello,

I purchased an electric motorcycle overseas. It came with all the proper paper work (title, manufacturers info etc) I went to the DMV here in Florida to get it registered and they're giving me a hard time registering it. They didn't trust that the title was legit because "it didn't look like all the others" that they've seen.

Any advice on what I can do to get it registered in the state? There are other people with electric motorcycles that ride on the street no problem.

Did you buy it from a distributor in the USA or overseas? Maybe the manufacturer? Show them the purchase invoice? Did you buy it new? New bikes overseas come with a Certificate of manufacture that most DMV'S accept in order to title them. I've had 2 new Kymco's with that COM and no problems. Maybe show them pics of the bike, pics from the web site of it for sale, ph#s, address of the seller etc.. Escalate the issue higher up the food chain if needed, got to be a way. Is it a DOT legal M/C and not just considered a bicycle?

Pictures would help. I have navigated the inspection and issuance of VIN and registration of a home built gas motor bike and registration of a moped on a bill of sale. I know must of the rules but pictures would help of the bike, it's equipment and the paperwork if possible. (You can PM me the paperwork if you don't want to publish it). From phone calls, meetings with DMV supervisors and many forms and documents, it got two of them through the process.

If all else fails, you can go the long route of getting a manufactured title. I've looked into titling my CT90, and that's the route I'm gonna go for.

Btw if you didn't know a manufactured title is a tile you can get if, for example, you built a fre for Model T project and it doesn't have a vin or title, you take it in, get it safety inspected, and they issue you a title.

Back