Having seconds thoughts on a gas motorized bike...

I looked at the issue of the federal law a bit- please not, I am not advising anyone on what to do. This is just my opinion of what the law says. If you think the law affects your situation, see a lawyer- this is not legal advice.

A few points of clarification:

1- In general, state or local laws can be stricter than federal law. However, if the federal government has legislated in a particular arena and has indicated in that legislation that they intend to preempt local law, then state or local law stricters than the federal law cannot legally be enforced. However, as indicated above, getting that ruling in your favor is not as simple as just pointing out the law. It really is a big deal.

2- When a state has a traffic code, local governments can make ordinances which are stricter. It could very well be that PA does not have a state law prohibiting riding a bicycle on the sidewalk, but local ordinances could prevent it. there is nothing wrong with that.

3- The federal law people have been referring to is 16 C.F.R. sec 1512.2 which states:

(a) Bicycle means:...

...(2) A two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph...

I just pulled that off of Westlaw.

The issue of the purpose of this definition remains. Is it to preempt state law? If so, is it meant to preempt state law specifically regarding the regulation of how and where such "bicycles" can be operated? That takes more work.

The answer to the first question, I believe, is "yes"- this law is intended to preempt state law. Under its power to regulate interstate commerce, Congress used its power to create the CPSC and delegated rulemaking authority to it. The first clue is in the legislation establishing the CPSC which was passed by Congress.

(a) The Congress finds that

(1) an unacceptable number of consumer products which present unreasonable risks of injury are distributed in commerce;...

...(3) the public should be protected against unreasonable risks of injury associated with consumer products;

(4) control by State and local governments of unreasonable risks of injury associated with consumer products is inadequate and may be burdensome to manufacturers;...

...(6) regulation of consumer products the distribution or use of which affects interstate or foreign commerce is necessary to carry out this chapter.

(b) The purposes of this chapter are

(1) to protect the public against unreasonable risks of injury associated with consumer products;...

...(3) to develop uniform safety standards for consumer products and to minimize conflicting State and local regulations;...

This seems to indicate that the purpose of the CPSC and the regulations it makes is to override state laws to enhance uniformity. This is classic preemption language. However, if there is preemption, there will be a more specific statute. Well, well, well, look at this:

(a) State compliance to Federal standards

Whenever a consumer product safety standard under this chapter is in effect and applies to a risk of injury associated with a consumer product, no State or political subdivision of a State shall have any authority either to establish or to continue in effect any provision of a safety standard or regulation which prescribes any requirements as to the performance, composition, contents, design, finish, construction, packaging, or labeling of such product which are designed to deal with the same risk of injury associated with such consumer product, unless such requirements are identical to the requirements of the Federal standard.

(b) Consumer product safety requirements which impose performance standards more stringent than Federal standards

Subsection (a) of this section does not prevent the Federal Government or the government of any State or political subdivision of a State from establishing or continuing in effect a safety requirement applicable to a consumer product for its own use which requirement is designed to protect against a risk of injury associated with the product and which is not identical to the consumer product safety standard applicable to the product under this chapter if the Federal, State, or political subdivision requirement provides a higher degree of protection from such risk of injury than the standard applicable under this chapter....

Uh, oh- there is preemption, but a state may have a law which provides a "higher degree of protection" than the federal regulations- first problem....and a big one, but there is a more fundamental issue.

The bigger problem becomes clear when you look at the second question I asked above: "is [the federal regulation] meant to preempt state law specifically regarding the regulation of how and where such "bicycles" can be operated?"

All of these laws and regulation are in the context of product safety. None of them have anything to do with the circumstances under which the bicycle can be operated. In other words, the CPSC regulation above, 16 C.F.R. sec 1512.2 regulates the standards for the equipment a bicycle must have and the quality standards it must be built to. It requires that a low speed electric bicycle meet those standards rather than some other standards such as moped or motorcycle standards. However, the federal law giving the CPSC the power to make that regulation does not give power to set the traffic laws which must apply to the electric bicycle. States and municipalities may make their own laws in that regard and it would likely exceed federal authority under the Constitution for Congress or a federal agency to attempt to regulate that way.

Therefore, in my opinion, the federal law defining low-power electric bicycles as bicycles have nothing to do with whether one must have a license or must register the bicycle. Those issues are state or local law issues.

One caveat- certain states may, rather than make their own laws defining "bicycle", use the federal definition by reference. If a given state does that, then when the feds change their definition, that chage would automatically change that state law. However, i do not know what states, if any, has actually defined "bicycle" for traffic regulation purposes by reference to the CPSC standards.

I was lied to, by all people, the Philly police!

Who woulda thunk it!?!? The police being untruthful!!. whats the world coming to

thanks for the input.
I plan on getting an electric now over the motor with what is happening to my friends and their motorized bikes.

i will be getting a rear hub motor and everything else will be self contained in a bike bag.

Nice site. I'm pretty skeptical of those statics, tho. 60~88mi, no matter how fast you're going or if it's estimated or actual data... that's just hard for me to believe. I wonder if anyone here has gotten more than 50mi, realistically, without pedaling.
well i am 270lbs. I doubt i will get half of that

I'd be impressed if you get a quarter of that.

i plan on peddling as much as possible

i'm not sure how well the works with a rear hub motor?

i mean, if i am peddling, and the motor is going.. I don't see how it would work out correctly

Pedal-assist really all depends on your gearing, because brushless hubs won't add too much extra resistance, if any.

On my bike, at some speed pedaling becomes too hard because the engine is already pushing me at the max speed my legs can rotate the crank. If you've got a geared bike, you can change the pedal gearing ratios; on a bmx, you'd have to change the crank and/or sprocket. Just depends on the setup & how fast you really intend to travel.

I'll definitely be interested in your e-bike results, tho... keep us posted!

Back