HAY! HAY! hay...

R'LeeQ

Local time
3:18 PM
I've been thinking about this for quite awhile now and I've finally made up my mind to JUST DO IT;)
So the first thing I wanted to do was get a bike that fit me...I'm 6'3" and over 300 lbs. After looking around I finally settled on the bike in the picture.
s-l1600.jpg

I bought it because it is a 29" Steel Frame bike, just a basic 18 speed bike with no frills. With my weight it needs to be sturdy. I haven't bought an engine yet and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As time and money permit I will begin modifying it to suite my tastes.

Welcome aboard.

Your height might be a bigger problem than your weight. It's gonna be hard to be comfortable.

I wouldn't want to understate the weight issue. 300 lbs is a lot. But a 66cc two cycle engine ought to be able to handle it. But you're going to want to go slow. About as fast as you'd pedal that bicycle.

I mention that in case you're hoping to average 35 mph or something like that. That's not very do-able.

On the other hand, I'm the type who preaches "slow, slow, slow!" on these bikes. So take that into account.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Blue for your comments. As for the speed thing, as the old saying goes, "been there done that" now I'm over it. 20 mph which I am hoping a 66 cc engine can supply for me is plenty fast enough. 100-mpg is what I like about these bikes. Now I was hoping that getting a 29 inch bike would compensate for my being 6'3". I am hoping that I can find some modifications that can ameliorate my height. maybe higher and more sweptback handle bars or a seat post mod of some kind. I already am looking for a wider longer saddle with deep foam for my fat butt. Kinda like an old tractor seat with deep cushioning.

For comfort I'd recommend some MTB style handlebars. I haven't gotten along well with cruiser style handlebars since my knees nearly bump into them. I'm 6 ft 0 in. Here's an example of bars that work well for me. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ting&field-keywords=wald+steel+handelbar+#803

A lay back seat post works well for taller guys, too.

I'm about to try a new saddle. I can't tell you how well it works since it hasn't even arrived yet. But I expect good things from it. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ive&field-keywords=BKRider+13"+Wide+Solo+Seat The one on the left is the one that I ordered.

I have one other concern for you. I'm afraid that those 29 inch wheels will be a bit flimsy for this use. But there's something you could do about that. You could downsize to some 26 inch, heavy duty wheels. I do this with my 26 inch frames. I downsize to 24 inch, heavy duty wheels. And it works great. My bike is more stable. It doesn't feel any lower to the ground. And there's a bonus; there's more room in my frame. And the whole thing looks a little more like an antique motorcycle than a bicycle with a motor slapped into it.

20 mph is not an unreasonable hope. Though you might find that you only want to go that fast on the smoothest pavement. Myself, I average 12 to 15 mph over five or ten miles. With 20 mph as my peak. In those traffic situations where I want to just get the heck out, for instance. It might sound a little bit slow. Yet you can still eat up quite a few miles pretty quickly.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The new Grubee GT5A has lots of guts for 30mph with the 44 tooth sprocket, but lacks on steep hills with my 210 lbs. I'd recommend getting a 48 0r larger sprocket if you have serious hills to do. You don't need a new bike you know? In my area used bikes go cheap. Craigslist and Kijiji are your friends. Go try the bikes out and don't plan on paying any more than $100 for a bike. Oh, now I see you bought it already. Looks fine. Is that 29" frame or wheels? With 29" wheels you will need even larger sprockets.

Steve

Back