HD LIGHTENING vs STOCK CDI DYNO!!!

FurryOnTheInside

Funny things like what?
Many people are retarding the timing of the stock CDI ignition by using an offset magnet key. Have you taken this into account, or only tested the Lightning versus the stock CDI with the stock magnet position?

Last edited:

Street Ryderz

What he doesn't say is that the engine was set to make it's power cleanly with the stock cdi and then wasn't retunned for the different timming curve of the Lightning cdi and if you look at the torque readings the Lightning made way more power through out the range and if it was jetted it would have made more power than what was shown.

Stoneman

I can only imagine the lightening to suite a particular kind of build so this dosent surprise me

Adjustable is where it’s at ;)

Stoneman

What he doesn't say is that the engine was set to make it's power cleanly with the stock cdi and then wasn't retunned for the different timming curve of the Lightning cdi and if you look at the torque readings the Lightning made way more power through out the range and if it was jetted it would have made more power than what was shown.
Why would it need to be re jetted?

Robert Bianchi, do you honor freedom of speech? Some people were telling me if you don’t like something that gets posted on the Zeda Motorsports FB page, you delete it.

Is this true?

Stoneman

Becuase you can hear that it was rich in the top vs the stock cdi and the curve (though not much) retards the timming enough to not get a complete burn and therefore losses some power!
Being a dyno they should be reading air fuel ratios that’s for sure

Kpi890

So I’m a little confused here... does the lightning CDI retard the timing or what exactly does it do? I’m looking into experimenting retarding my timing but I cannot seem to find a good instructional video on how to do so and I don’t trust myself to do it correctly based on some pictures I have seen. Is here a way to retard the timing without moving the magnet key and all that?

FurryOnTheInside

So I’m a little confused here... does the lightning CDI retard the timing or what exactly does it do? I’m looking into experimenting retarding my timing but I cannot seem to find a good instructional video on how to do so and I don’t trust myself to do it correctly based on some pictures I have seen. Is here a way to retard the timing without moving the magnet key and all that?
There are two different meanings of retard. Both are relative to something.

If you "retard" the magnet position in relation to the crank you are bluntly altering the spark timing, and retarding the timing at all RPM relative to the stock timing. This is one meaning of retard.

The other (and perhaps the proper) meaning of retard (and advance) is relative to its timing at a lower RPM.
Two stroke CDIs should have a "curve". It seems that at some point, as you accelerate, as the RPM increases, the advancing of the spark timing needs to stop and then it should be retarding as the RPM continues to increase.

The stock CDI doesn't have a proper curve, it keeps on advancing. It may advance a little bit less as RPM increases but apparently not enough. The magnet key trick is just a (free!) way to make the best of the stock CDI that you already have.
Aftermarket CDIs do have a curve, but different CDIs have different timing curves.
The Jaguar designed CDIs have a choice of several (four?) different curves so you can experiment and see which one suits your needs without any further purchases. I'm fairly sure that none of the timing curves on the Jaguar designed CDI is the same as the curve of the Lightning, Lightning Bolt, etc. So you can only try every possibility by buying every product on the market.