HD Rear Hub and Pull start for 2-strokes

I got my hub today.

It seems to be about the same size as my coaster hub, so the spokes might be reusable? I'm going to give changing it myself a shot.

Looking at it I'm thinking the hub is the same as the freewheel version. The sprocket is just different. Makes me think if you were to go 4stroke . Maybe you could just get the freewheel sprocket. Heres some pics of it. maybe someone with the free version could comment on similarities.

edit: I'd just like to add this is my 2nd order from b-e and both times the shipping has been very fast.

Attachments

• S5030003-1.jpg
    S5030003-1.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 248
  • S5030005-2.jpg
    S5030005-2.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 242
  • S5030006-1.jpg
    S5030006-1.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 299
  • S5030007-1.jpg
    S5030007-1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
hey reclaimer,

since you just got one i hope you don't mind me asking a couple questions.

1. Is there a way to swap the supplied sprocket with another one?
2. How easy is it to mount your own spokes (assuming you do it)
3. Will the brake mount to a non-stock sprocket
4. Is there any room to mount a multiple gear freewheel on the pedal side? Or are you limited to a single gear?

Alaskavan, since it has been revealed that the hub is the same as yours, did you have any success in mounting multiple gears on the pedal side? Also what size wheel is this hub made for? I assume that can be adjusted by spoke length, but that may be a naive assumption.

Thanks a lot for the pics though man, seeing it like that from different angles really helps. Keep us posted!

I was able to install the hub tonight. I'd never done it before, wasn't really that hard. Took me 2.5 hours but I wasn't in any hurry.It does still need some truing though.

just took the old(new) one out and laced the new hub in with the same spokes. Not sure you could just do that, if your wheel has a freewheel hub.

I don't really know anything about multi vs single speed freewheels, as far as how they attach. So I cant comment on that.

The motor driven sprocket has a 6 bolt pattern. It bolts on to a keyed adapter that slides onto the hub. The brake threads on and holds the sprocket in place. I would think kings could make you one. Making your own, I don't know. It needs to be the right thickness so it doesn't have play, between the brake and hub flange.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

If you look at the pic of the treads. the sproket slides onto the fatter part. then the brake threads onto the narrower section thus holding the spocket on.

Looking at it now you could use any thickness sprocket. Because the collar the sprocket bolts to takes up the space.

edit: Also you might like to know, I think if ya did break bolts, they would just come right out. No drilling or buying new parts aside from bolts. Thats gotta be a plus.

I used this link to get through it.

It looks to be pretty much the same, but without the freewheel, and with a slot for a key. I put a 7 gear freewheel on mine. It was wide enough that I left off the strap brake to save that space. The freewheel and the sprocket I got have a 5-hole bolt patern (which may cause a little trouble, since I want to change sprocket size). I also flipped the axle around to gain length where I needed it (described in the thread about this hub).

I was wondering if yours had the slot cut in to it. Hmm 7 gears huh....what to do.

after a quick check bicycle chain slips right on the 44t.

Yes. I just checked. There is a keyway in mine. If you go multiple gears, keep in mind that you might have to spread your stays.

If you go multiple gears, keep in mind that you might have to spread your stays.

I had the same thought, and I really need to keep the brake. I think its the single life for me.

edit: I think i'm going to have to spread them some as it is.

thanks for the explanation and help guys, this thread has really helped me understand the hd hub a lot better. I totally see what i can expect from it now.

Reclaimer, that info on any sprocket size working was priceless; not getting a 36/34t sprocket was a deal breaker for me. I'm willing to machine the thing a bit, but i was worried the sprocket had intergrated crucial parts or something, or that width would have to be exact.

And alskavan, thanks for the info on the 7 speed functionality. I went through your post on reversing the axel, seems like a simple solution to the pedal side gear issue, i'll want to do it to mine. I do want multiple gears on my pedal side, since i pedal it around the areas with cops in Ottawa. I want to use the strap brake too, you seem to have indicated you can only get 7 gears in with the brake off. Do you think you could fit 5 with it on? 3? I have two gears at the pedals, so even 3 gears on the back wheel would represent a fair variation in gear ratio.

All in all though, i think this will work perfectly for my bike. It should ship with the kits, IMHO. The only difficult part is lacing your own spokes, which doesn't look very hard, just meticulous and exact. Once they're laced, i'm just gonna take it to my local bike store and have them true it up properly. That'll probably just cost 5-10 bucks labour, and it seems to look like the hardest part in building the wheel. Anyway, great thread, we are defining the available non-spoke-clamp options :)

Back