Head Advice Please?

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
4:33 AM
Ok I'm looking to purchase a new head for my 66cc Skyhawk. First off would purchasing a head greatly improve performance?? I already have a new carb & muffler on the way and buying a new head seems like the next logical step. Has anyone purchased a quality head at a fair price??

I only use heads from cr machine. they make some, but not much power improvement. cooling and reliability shoots through the roof though.

Putting in a ~$10 NGK 5944 (BPR7HIX) Iridium spark plug is your next step if you have slat head.

I like the results of bicycle_motor_works cnc head, just has good surface area and mass making for a nice heat sink.
I only use heads from cr machine. they make some, but not much power improvement. cooling and reliability shoots through the roof though.

The BMW head really pulls a lot of heat out, I think any head will work well as long as it has a good sink, airflow is important too, more fins usually better heat removal.

The iridium plug is also a good start, they might be built for high performance engines but they really do work reliably, the better you burn the fuel and oil the better the engine will break in, and run in general. Having a fouled plug just makes everything harder to tune and keep clean.

Great advice. I forgot to mention I already have a NGK-BP6HS plug in, I thought that was the plug to put in based off of the majority of threads I read. At the moment I'm waiting on a new carb to arrive (See attached photo). Found out after my purchase the carb will not be much of an improvement over my stock carb but I'm hoping the jet will be smaller because I'm running rich at the moment and the bike is really bogging. Does anyone know the jet size in these carburetors?

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 131
I was told this head I was going to buy is junk from a member who seems to be very well informed so fortunately I was to
Usually the same as stock in every way. Easier to tune, and have that really nice choke release, just choke it, start and then pull full throttle to release it automatically.
Well at least it has that going for it, I do find it a pain to reach down and adjust my choke while riding.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.PNG
    IMG_0525.PNG
    533.6 KB · Views: 118
Usually the same as stock in every way. Easier to tune, and have that really nice choke release, just choke it, start and then pull full throttle to release it automatically.

Can you explain further? Are you saying the clone carbs have a auto choke release? That would be handy. Do those take the same jets as the NT carb?

Last edited:
I watched fabians channel - he recommended the larger fin models, apparently the cooling is all worth it.

I maintenance my stock angle head anywhere from every 3 to 10 weeks because of warp compression loss.

Last edited:
Back