Exhaust Head gasket & Exhaust Gasket Discussion - pics

remove the screw & find this:
41_screw_and_baffle_1.jpg

word is that it's a bit tough to remove...i haven't gone there, yet, i'm waiting til after break-in to start tweaking :devilish:

leaking gasket

Hello,

if your gasket is leaking, you can expect an engine failure soon. This happened today to me. The head gasket was leaking a little bit, and suddenly the engine started to do a rare loud noise.

This noise is because the air escapes between the head gasket and the "body" of the engine. I am still thinking about the best way to fix it....

For now, the best seems to put silicone gasket maker on the gasket to seal it. I bought an airplane sealing liquid resistant to heat, petrol and oil. tomorrow i will try.

Did you solve the problem already? If you did, please explain me....I am worried because I cant use the bike anymore. the head bolt seems damaged and can't torque it properly...that's why the air escapes.

Thanks a lot

hi; i found if you pull one head bolt and use hardware store all thread, the bolts will stop stretching.get rid of acorn nuts. remove head bolts by double nutting. reinstall with blue lock tite, if you one bolt at a time you might not need to replace gaskets. oh yeah--after installing with locktite and torquing let it set up for 24hrs.

7 oz oil per gallon is a very low 18.3 ratio not 20 ! as claimed, 6oz ger gallon is 21.3 still on the low side and 5oz is 25.6,in the ballpark..If you use such low ratios the engine will tend to run lean (not good) unless you also adjust the carb.It is better to run rich than lean (overheating)

possible that the studs are backing of the engine block causing loose gasket. Tightening up the head stud bolts will cause problems cuz the stud will strip and pull out of the engine.

my whipper snipper leeks, could i cut up a thin slice of rubber the same size as the head gasket and put that behind the gasket so it seals it better?

my whipper snipper leeks, could i cut up a thin slice of rubber the same size as the head gasket and put that behind the gasket so it seals it better?

I would say No.
Rubber with High heat not to mention Compression will eventually fail.
You will need to Check your Head and jug for High spots and replace head gasket And re torque head bolts.

Cheers:)
BlueCollar-Bob

BlueCollarbike.com

Be careful about torque on these head bolts. They strip VERY easily.

Most of my engines leaked around the head gasket. It's made from a solid piece of stel and cannot be compressed. Any imperfections in the casting around the head will result in a leak.

I bought a roll of head gasket material from the Auto parts store for about $5. It's made from a more flexible material. Using the steel gasket as a template I cut the center hole with an exacto knife and drilled out the bolt holes. I put high temp sealer.sealer around the gasket and installed it. I don't have a torque wrench for such small nuts and torque ranges. I just snug it up carefully.

Not only did this stop the leak, but the engine seems to run smoother and have more power. 330 miles and I'm good. Cool!

Some high temp sealers say that they are not for use with exposure to gasoline, but they are antsy about a "permanent" fix. I believe this sealer will last for the life of this cheap chinese engine, and, if not, I've got a whole roll of this stuff to do it over again. It's not rocket science and only takes about 30 minutes.

How long might that "life" be is the Question, steel head gaskets?,that's a new one,incredible !!.

It's been over 4 weeks and had no problems with this "heat sink" idea on exhaust.
The transfer of heat probably reduces warping on the pipe's header.

Attachments

• 20080626-EXHAUST HEAT SINK-2.jpg
    20080626-EXHAUST HEAT SINK-2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 293
Back