Exhaust Head gasket & Exhaust Gasket Discussion - pics

D

davidsis

Hey, my head gasket is leaking a little bit anyone know how to fix it. I have tightened the head bolts down to 15lbs. still leaks a little. If I keep riding with it leaking anyway will it hurt the bike?

Hi, What makes you think its leaking? Do you hear it or what? I do know the tork specs. for the head bolts on my 80cc are 100 inch pounds. Myself not having an inch pound tork wrench I used my 1/4 inch drive socket so as to not put too much pressure on it and tightened in a criss cross patern and not too tight. I'd rather blow the gasket than break a head bolt. It worked fine for me .Then again I get lucky now and then. Tom in WV

yup, just give it a tweak after every ride during break-in, the first 20 miles i got about a full turn on mine, no problems at all since then. also, that spark plug doesn't like to stay in there, make sure you have it tight enough, you'll feel the washer give just a bit then snug up, you'll be all set.

EDIT: figured i put this here for anyone else who wanders along...dax was mentioning to someone about keeping that head and jug clean. for real, on an air-cooled engine you need those metal fins to remain as clean as possible to dissipate heat properly.

after 40 miles, tight & right!!

augidog said:
yup, just give it a tweak after every ride during break-in, the first 20 miles i got about a full turn on mine, no problems at all since then. also, that spark plug doesn't like to stay in there, make sure you have it tight enough, you'll feel the washer give just a bit then snug up, you'll be all set.

EDIT: figured i put this here for anyone else who wanders along...dax was mentioning to someone about keeping that head and jug clean. for real, on an air-cooled engine you need those metal fins to remain as clean as possible to dissipate heat properly.

after 40 miles, tight & right!!

yeah that was me, how can i keep it clean? i tried dusting it with a paintbrush...

i feel like suggesting automotive "brake-clean", quick drying & residue free, but read the can to see how it'll affect other materials. use it only on a cold engine.

Head gasket

It looks like it is leaking because there is oil dripping down the engine. Looks like it is comming from the area of the head gasket. The spark plug is tight. I got the bolts torqued at 15lbs. Could be vibrating back out though.

huh? that doesn't sound good at all...maybe it's from a leaky exhaust gasket...are you sure you're accurately measuring your pre-mix? too much oil can be as bad as not enough. mind you, i'm only guessing...can you post a pic?

Head gasket

Okay, I just do not know how to post a picture. Hey, what is that screw on the bottom of my muffler? Come to think of it the thing hardly smokes at all. Like no smoke. I put 7oz of oit in 1 gallon.

7 oz. to one gallon, that's 20:1, ok, are you using "real" oil & not "synthetic?" don't worry about not seeing smoke, the new oils burn much cleaner.

...a bad head gasket usually only affects performance, but during break-in i wouldn't want to guess about the consequences. how's the overall performance? how's it starting? is there a lot of noise...can you actually "hear" the leaky head-gasket? is it really dripping oil? actual dripping would indicate a pretty blown gasket or possibly a cracked head.

can you take a pic and email it to me? i'll post it to see what other's think about your problem 8)

Back