Exhaust Head gasket & Exhaust Gasket Discussion - pics

Hi, My engine blew the gasket under the jug and it effected the idel. It wouldn't. but also it was making oil that collected in the area under the carb. I pulled the jug and made a new gasket and the problem was solved. I made the gasket the old fasioned way with a ball peen hammer tapping around the part in question and letting the sharp edge cut the gasket as you go. That made me quite nervous cause I kept thinking I was going to break the casting. But all worked well and its healed. Tom in WV

got this pic from davidsis, click the thumb for a larger image:

wow! anybody got any suggestions for him?

my input: it looks from the pic as if maybe the exhaust isn't tight enough...the lockwashers don't look all the way compressed. if they are, try this...clean the engine as good as you can, then run it only until you see leakage, it may help you locate the problem.

okay that looked EXACTLY how mine looked after my exhaust gasket blew and the only thing I"ve done is replaced the EG with pieces of sock...no more oil problem for me...

but i bet ya look pretty silly riding around with one sock :p

TIP: take this from a former muffler-man...if you notice, the holes on the exhaust flange are larger than the studs. this means that there is room for movement, which will result in a blown exhaust gasket. when i installed mine, rather than trying to center the flange, i let the weight of the muffler dictate where it sat, then i tightened it down. don't be afraid of it, that gasket is made to be compressed. i had to (barely) retighten it twice in the first 20 miles, but as you can see from my pic above, i'll probably never have to worry about it again.

Yep it looks like the exaust gasket took a powder. Do the clean up thing and I'd bet if you look close you'll see its comming from the exaust .If so replace the gasket and its a fix . Tom in WV

Hi again, I've changed my mind as to the leak coming from the exaust gasket. Today I went for a ride and upon my return I was looking things over and low and beholdoil was coming out of mine to and it was coming from the head gasket. I sure about it cause no other oil was present except what was coming out of the front at the head gasket.I wiped it down and got out a 1/4 inch ratchet and 10 mm deep well. I let it go cold then I gave the bolts a 1/4 turn in a X pattern and they did indeed seem to need it. I then took it for another run and let it cool and did another 1/4 turn. This time they seemed tighter . After another run the problem seems to be gone . No more leak at all. So It's offical After further review the call on the field is reversed and I now do believe you may have a head gasket leak. I was told by Mike Simpson to tork it to 100 inch pounds. But I don't have an inch pound tork wrench so I used the plan " B" method of "guesstamation" So far so good...... Tom in WV

Head gasket

I tightened up the spark plug. I thank that fixed it. Thanks for all of the help especially augidog. It was leaking there and dripping down.

Davis

First your oil to gas mix it to oily

Second you blew that cheep paper gasket they use on the mufflers

third you probably have the inside baffels mucked up so un screw the end pull the baffels and clean them. Then take and drill a couple holes through the muffler and the baffels once you have the muffler back together it might sound a little louder but it will run better.

Cookie

Baffle

There is only one little screw on the end of the muffler. I do not know if that will remove the baffle.

Back