Head injury and helmets

try 1897

Local time
4:19 AM
I read about helmets vs. No helmets and recalled the day years ago when I stopped by Blaylock cycle to get a carb rebuild kit for the 650 Bonneville I was riding at the time. On the wall was a poster of a broken egg like humpty dump. The caption read "all the kings horses and all the kings men PLEASE WHERE A HELMET " I went home with the helmet not the rebuild kits. Come a few years later I crashed at the dragstrip and cracked a helmet a different one but similar and was in a coma for a short time. I had a fracture skull and they had to cut to let the pressure off. Often I recall the Dr telling me it was the impact of my brain against my skull not the helmet to the concrete that did the damage. After I healed I would look in the mirror and see the same person yet I was different. Friends and family all said the same thing. There is no doubt in my mind that the helmet saved my life that day. Tom Yendell P.S. I raced again two years later

I wear a cheap helmet and am a believer in them. I too ride m/c's and it scares the hell out of me going down w/o one on.

I too had a motorcycle accident that nearly tore off my leg. My helmet had abrasions that ground it from back to front. What if that had been my scalp?

Over the years I have been knocked out twice from off-road bike accidents. Once left my scalp bruised with the waffle pattern of the styrofoam inside the helmet. I am a believer. I cringe when I see those idiots wearing a helmet over a ballcap, not strapped on. Idiots. We call them "organ donors".

Back