Head studs stuck to head nuts..

Granite80

Local time
5:55 AM
Recently I tried to take a peek at the baby 66/80cc piston. And when taking off the 4 nuts, I noticed 2 of the 4 brought the studs up with it.. I found this to not be an issue at first, as I could get some channel locks and hold the stud (non threaded part) and take the other nut off. I tried that, and that nut isint going anywhere. So now I essentially have a bolt.. and I’ve put them back in, and I don’t have any issues. Although my question is: Is it ok for that to be like that? Thanks to who replies..

Use 2 nuts on the free end of the stud and tighten them together. Now the nut on the bottom or outside is to be held/gripped while you loosen the top nut or acorn.

Compressing the head down with the nut on the top pre torqued will stress the case threads and cause them to fail early. It's much easyer to replace a stud then fix the case.
I have tightened them with the 2 but method but I’ve notice I can only tighten the stud to a point, and it sticks out slightly taller than the others. Is this ok? But it still nice and tight on the head...

Put Blue locktite on your stud to case threads. It that don't hold em in use Red locktite on the threads
Do not put locktite on your acorn nuts.
Also check if your acorn nuts are bottoming out on the studs (running out of thread) Ya might want to use regular nuts

Sometimes the studs are cheap, cut by eye and not the same length. Their can be other things. If you want to be sure take them out, check the stud lengths are the same but the thread lengths are too and the depth the threads are. Make sure their both clean and note the depth when putting them in to ensure they seated deep
I just took the cylinder head off and now are tight I guess to right/same length. I’ll keep you all posted

image.jpg

Also, which way should I install the head. Spark plug facing the front tire, or back?

Back