Head studs / top end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusey4.13.9

Local time
9:14 AM
I ordered a pk 80 wildcat, long story short this was the first kit that I had to put the head studs in myself. I put blue Loctite on them because I’ve had one come out before and I wanted to make this bike as reliable as possible , so when I put the piston / cylinder ( whole top end) together and torqued the head down I noticed it wasn’t making as good of a seal as I want on the head gasket , I still see slight openings where it’s not mating correctly, obviously I know that ain’t going to work so I went to tighten the studs down a little more and their not moving , I tried putting two nuts on but I felt like all I was doing was messing the thread up , so I didn’t want to bc metal slivers but did anyway , tried vice grips , still not turning , so my question is if it is because the studs not being in enough (head not properly torqued) then what can I do to get them seated more ?

Some pics would help, but some of the china girl cylinder heads have a raised ridge area around the combustion chamber circumference to help aid in gasket sealing. It will look /appear to have a gap, when its actually sealed.

Some pics would help, but some of the china girl cylinder heads have a raised ridge area around the combustion chamber circumference to help aid in gasket sealing. It will look /appear to have a gap, when its actually sealed.
I’ll post some pics when I get home .. from what I’ve been seeing , as in how far studs are seated on every other motor , their definitely in further then mine , I kind of regret using Loctite now.also using the vice grips did cause some metal slivers but I had a rag down there that caught most of them. Also I know this is a dumb question but idc I’m tired of getting the wrong stuff , what nut should I get for the head ? I know 8 mm but what thread and nut specifically. I’ve already got the wrong thread .

I’ll post some pics when I get home .. from what I’ve been seeing , as in how far studs are seated on every other motor , their definitely in further then mine , I kind of regret using Loctite now.also using the vice grips did cause some metal slivers but I had a rag down there that caught most of them. Also I know this is a dumb question but idc I’m tired of getting the wrong stuff , what nut should I get for the head ? I know 8 mm but what thread and nut specifically. I’ve already got the wrong thread .
Sorry I missed read the post, your having stud issues. Ok

Sorry I missed read the post, your having stud issues. Ok
Yes stud issues, which is why I see a gap where the head gasket is. I’m brand new to this and anything mechanical in general. I like to say that so people know where I’m at. So just the two nut thing is all I can do correct? There’s only three types of thread right ? So the head nuts are 8mm but idk what thread and I want to stop at the hardware store to get them on my way home , I just don’t know what thread it is , but as long as it could be one of three I’ll buy 4 of all 3.

I would for sure buy 8mm by 1.25mm pitch nuts= they are the most commonly used. If they got them at the hardware store, get high/coupling nuts or flange nuts.

Thank you man. When tightening the studs down I should put the first nut on and leave just enough room for the 2nd nut correct? As in don’t screw the nuts all the way down then tighten the studs right ?

Blue loctite isn't that strong. If needed heat up the studs or case to about 250 degrees and it will let go, unless you used 243, then it's 350 degreea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back