Head studs / top end

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I would do it personally. If the studs are already damaged - clamp vice grips to a stud, use a propane or map gas torch and focus heat at the base of the stud/case, apply counter-clockwise turning force to stud until it releases. Don't try to get it super hot and keep the flame focused mostly on the stud itself. You can put some permanent marker on the case around the hole, if it starts to fade stop applying heat as you are getting it way too hot. Remember, it only needs to reach 200 to 300 degrees.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
At those temps? Not really. Just don't burn yourself lol.
Okay , thanks . So I got the studs equally seated and I got them to seat further untilzing the double nut trick. Thank you guys ! Still , I do have some concerns , #1 I don’t know if their in far enough , but it’s super hard to get them to turn any further , and #2 unfortunately due to my inexperience when first seating them I used vice grips and I’m worried if it compromised the integrity of the studs. I’ll leave some pics and I appreciate it in advance! Also , I’m having trouble mounting this on my huffy lockland, the mounting studs aren’t wide enough (studs towards exhaust obviously) and rub against frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 97
I wouldn't worry about the studs. They damage isn't on the threads nor is it that bad anyway. Not bad enough to compromise them for the 12ft-lbs of torque the nuts require anyway.

Yep, I even have a couple. Most people aren't willing to spend money on a tool they will use a couple of times. Heck, I even have the right tool and I usually just jam 2 nuts together and use a wrench anyway.

P.S. that one is currently unavailable 😉
That's the cross border thing, same as a US guy posting comes NA for me.

I wouldn't worry about the studs. They damage isn't on the threads nor is it that bad anyway. Not bad enough to compromise them for the 12ft-lbs of torque the nuts require anyway.
Thank you for your feed back . Do they look seated far enough in the case ?

Yeah they look fine to me
This is what I got done so far , still gotta out the exhaust on carb, lights , chain etc but it’s turning out nice I think .. I was looking at the head gasket and it looks decently sealed but it still looks like it’s not all the way flush as in I can see a tiny little space here and there but my head is torqued down good and when I take the head off to look at it you can see the seal on the gasket

Attachments

• 0B30107E-3C4B-44BC-B6D1-4981CE6BA23E.jpeg
    0B30107E-3C4B-44BC-B6D1-4981CE6BA23E.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back